DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking for Dragster Tires that shake less
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Dragster Tires that shake less
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hello,
I have been running Hoosier 18400D05's on my 985 HP, 2100 lb swingarm single shock dragster the last couple of years.

They have worked great going down the track, but shake severely in the burnout. I have tried to adjust pressure and shock setup, but when the burnout has felt better the car has felt worse going down the track. I had the best success down track at 5.5 PSI and the shock setup on the stiffer side.

I have always run Hoosiers but I am open to all brands and hearing your results and opinions. Thanks.

Posts: 106 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
M/T #3183 X8 compound are the tires you need and want. They are one Bad ass tire!!

ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You must have been under a rock MT 3190....FTW...LOL

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The best thing I ever did was switch to MT 3183 slicks. I'm not bashing other brands but I broke a lot of stuff due to tire shake. I made 4-link adjustments, every shock setting possible, new shocks/springs, pressure changes and nothing seemed to help. Depending on what size you need, the 3183 or 3191 have the same X8 tire compound and they work. I have over 250 passes on my 3183s and they work the same as they did when they were installed.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
If you have Beadlocks the little bubba 3190/3191 are both bad ass tires on a Dragster. I liked the 3190s better but I was running 4.40s and .990 60’s. Everyone says the 91 is a better tire for 4.70 and slower cars. I love the hoosiers on my doorcar but would never run them on a dragster again because of the shake issues and wasn’t as good going down the track as the Bubbas. What I saw was it took around 5 passes for them to settle in but man there smooth as glass

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
M/T 3183 for years and I’ve had only one time I had some tire shake on a burnout.

It was very hot out and not enough water probably.

Easily 300 runs on 2 different sets and only one shaker...

They can probably go 300 runs !

I changed out a set at around 200 and there was tons of rubber left and there was no difference from old set to new.

Yes they do go flat.....It’s a minor annoyance.

To be fair no other tire shook on burnouts on my car either.

Hoosier #18700 CO-6

Goodyear #2032’s

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
If you have Beadlocks the little bubba 3190/3191 are both bad ass tires on a Dragster. I liked the 3190s better but I was running 4.40s and .990 60’s. Everyone says the 91 is a better tire for 4.70 and slower cars. I love the hoosiers on my doorcar but would never run them on a dragster again because of the shake issues and wasn’t as good going down the track as the Bubbas. What I saw was it took around 5 passes for them to settle in but man there smooth as glass

^^^^This^^^^

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I never had any issues with Hoosiers shaking until I started making more power. No burnout shakes. But man this year I couldn't consistently do anything right with the Hoosiers. I borrowed some MT's and couldn't make them shake if I wanted to. Borrowed another small 15" set, and they wouldn't shake either. I'm not saying my setup was correct with the Hoosiers. But the mt's wouldn't shake.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If I remember right the 18400 D05 is the 14.5Wx32 tire. I ran that one for years and tried the C07 and also the 13.5 x 32 D05 tire. They were terrible. They were BRUTAL on burnout and broke all kinds of brackets and engine limiters.
I went to the 3074 MT tire and it was MUCH better. as an added bonus the MT 3074 works better in high Texas heat and even in colder temps. My Hoosiers would dead hook or when track temps got around 60* and low dew points tires would just blow away. My MT tires never do that. Sometimes here we get track temps around 150* and when we do my Hoosiers would pull up rolls of rubber off the track and it would skate around on top end. MT tires never had problem. That was on my 4 link altered. Same tire does not work as good on my hard tail front engine dragster. Still trying to sort it out.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
All of the above!

M/T's FTW!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Agreed...

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The 18400 is a 15". I ran that tire in a CO7 compound for years(15+).The DO5 is a softer compound. I was always ready to let go of the 3 step button and grab a ton of brake towards the end of the burnout. It was and is a good tire, however after going to the M/T 3084s I will never go back to the 18400. If staying with the 15inch wheel look no further than the 3084s!!!

Posts: 27 | Location: Pen Argyl, PA | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with the MT 3080 X8. It's rare I leave in 1st gear but when I do the car goes 4.7x/7.4x and has been great.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Another vote for MT 3183. Have them on two 7.40 dragsters. Have run the Hoosier 18700 and they shake worse at the end of the burnout than the mickeys do.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
All the Hoosier dragster racers remind me of an old cigarette commercial, Tareyton cig's had many where the theme was "I'd rather fight than switch"...………….. Big Grin

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
All the Hoosier dragster racers remind me of an old cigarette commercial, Tareyton cig's had many where the theme was "I'd rather fight than switch"...………….. Big Grin

No fighting or name calling any more. We post our results and opinions and move on. Hoosier used to be best tire for most of us, now it is MT and may be Goodyear in a few years who knows? Just depends on what works best for us.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:

No fighting or name calling any more. We post our results and opinions and move on. Hoosier used to be best tire for most of us, now it is MT and may be Goodyear in a few years who knows? Just depends on what works best for us.

Curly, this was meant as a joke only. There has been so much GOOD info posted about this topic over the past years now,, so it does amaze me that racers with this kind of problem don't know the answer by now! Dragster tire shake in the burnout is mainly a tire design caused deal. This is another area where MT's out shine the rest. Ya you can change how you do a burnout to minimize the shake,,, but it will still get you hard at times and this will kill gear sets and rear ends sooner or later!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
On my first dragster nearly 20 years ago I had Goodyears and inadvertently bought a stiff sidewall tire.

For some reason I never realized the tires I bought were among the 3 sizes Goodyear made going back many years for Pro Tree S/G type cars..

That was dumb because I had them when they first came out years earlier on a S/G- Bracket Camaro I drove a couple years..

Those Goodyears were heavy and shook so bad on my dragster I broke a pile of stuff and it got so bad I did not want to race !

I took them off and put Hoosiers soft sidewall tire that everyone was using on S/C dragsters.

They were better but still shook on a burnout sometimes....

I had heard M/T's were being used on cars all the way up to Alcohol Funny Cars and did not shake....so I bought a pair of M/T's to try ...A 15" high growth tire and those tires never shook, period....

Worked great in all weather....L-8 compound....

Been using M/T's mostly ever since...

Bought some Hoosiers one year and they had issues at times down track, losing traction....

Went back to M/T's.....No issues other than the go flat PITA....Don't care....

If I had beadlocks I'd try the 3191's or 3190's...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My last two sets of MT tires do not leak and I did not put anything in them.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
thank you everyone for your input.

I did not have an issue with shaking until I stepped up my power,so it looks like I am going to have to try some mickeys. Thanks,.

Posts: 106 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post