DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    what starter are you using for a 14 .1 and above SBC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what starter are you using for a 14 .1 and above SBC
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
My old CVR starter is getting weak thinking of getting a powermaster high compression starter for my 406 14.1 any of you using PM satrters

Posts: 63 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You should to the general discussion and read Scott’s post about Meziere’s.

Made in America with American parts by Americans

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/FZ6zwnyDwUg

We were gonna do a Meziere on this ^^^, but a racer I got a Meziere for years ago said he had better luck with a Powermaster 9500, so we went that route on his strong suggestion. Valve springs are over 1400 open, on this engine.

I run a Powermaster, I got probably 20 years ago, on my own personal sbc as well.

I looked, I don't see one they sell now, that looks like it though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've used a powermaster 9450 on my 406 and 555 and been very happy with it.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
I've used a powermaster 9450 on my 406 and 555 and been very happy with it.

Good call, I dug deeper Ultra 9500 is what I meant to say, thanks.

I found mine as well it's a 9540, my sbc is 14:1 750hp 875 open spring pressure.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I bought a TCI starter from Scott Richardson over 20 years ago at a race in Bowling Green Kentucky and it is still on the car today cranking over my big block with 14-1 compression and locked out distributor.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run the Powermaster with 139 tooth flexplate. Works much better than the Tilton Super Starter I had and now use as back up. Very pleased with the Powermaster products.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

<DOTracer>
posted
Powermaster 9500 on a 16:1 BBC. I didn't have any luck with the 9400.

The 9500 PM works so well, I see no reason to go to the Meziere.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks All for your input after reading all the positives on The Powermaster starter I have ordered the 9526 its the one with staggered bolt style and supposed to work with the 168 tooth flexplate and up to 18.1

Again I appreciate all that have replied

Posts: 63 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Support American companies with American parts and American workers

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Good Vibrations IMI-902 (2.0 KW)

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mark Payne House of Payne starters and alternators

www.houseofpayneperformance.com

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Tilton. On my second one. First one lasted 15 years until the drive stuck one day. Moved it with a screwdriver and it started working again, but I replaced it anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brktracer,

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
meziere or house of payne,cant go wrong

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post