DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Msd ignition box
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Msd ignition box
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Do the plugs look over timed? I spray 300 on m5 in a 632 conventional headed motor at 29 degrees of timing and havent taken head gaskets out yet. Compression is at 15.0. When checking timing, do you only check it at idle, or do you rev the engine up? I believe i would be checking the timing from idle to atleast 3500 rpm to make sure the timing isnt moving.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
just more thoughts,
fuel distribution
too much timing ?
compression higher than expexted due to small chambers
and lastly change bottom part of grid(if thats the ign)
is it always same spot when it blows

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It’s carburetor on alcohol. Belt drive pump with tank up front. Compression may be higher, I haven’t cc the heads. It doesn’t blow in same direction every time. First time both heads blew out up towards the intake right where the missing inner bolts would go. Added inner bolts this time it blew between #6 and #8. Left side was fine. No grid but a msd hvc6 box and coil. I’m leaning toward too much timing, but when my friend got the truck timing was at 36 so i don’t know why it’s a problem now.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of deadon1578
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2 cents worth, on alcohol it's hard to get an engine to detonate, and 36° should not be too high, I run as much compression as I can in 555, 565,572, and 588 and never had any head gasket issues, but I have always used studs and the extra studs under intake. I have found that MSD is not real good with the dial type timing lights. What I would do is to make sure the dowel pins aren't holding the head up, or the bolts are bottoming out in the block before it completely torques the head. Plus I have always used MLS gaskets. I would also CC a head to see where it is, if it's been milled too much the dowel will bottom out, good luck!

Posts: 47 | Location: md | Registered: July 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
is it hurting rod bearings any at all when gasket blows

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It hasn’t hurt the bearings yet. Hope it doesn’t.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
It hasn’t hurt the bearings yet. Hope it doesn’t.

likely not detonation

1.036, 6.16@ 224