DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2015 6L80e fluid burnt smell and dark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2015 6L80e fluid burnt smell and dark
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted
My 2015 Sierra trans fluid is burnt looking. 121,000 miles on trans. 75,000 on fluid. Tech said pan was pretty clean for how dark the fluid is. Changed filter and refilled w new fluid. It did shift a little better after.

Questions are: what caused the burnt fluid and what problems should I be looking for? Should I dona flush to replace all of the fluid or do 2 more pan drains?

Trans temp never gets over 200 and I very rarely pull more than my lawn mower on a random utility trailer. It’s mostly highway runs but it does idle a lot.

Looking for ideas.

Posts: 394 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
What fluid did you use last time? You can pull a cooler line and start it and pour fluid in as it pumps it out until you see fresh fluid.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure. It had 37,000 miles on it and I bought It from the a GMC dealer who said they had replaced all the fluids. I specifically Asked about the trans. So I am assuming dex 6 but IDK for sure.

I may try that as a fluid exchange. Good idea.

Posts: 394 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Converter and pump is about to poop the bed. The converter design frankly sucks and should be a billet. Also, modifications need to be made to the pump to help with the converter issue. Once this is done, they last a long time.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Pm sent 329

DRR Trophy
Picture of S_Wiech
posted Hide Post
AGREE WITH 329L. CONVERTER IS JUNK AND IN THE PROCESS IS RUINING THE PUMP HALFS AND POSSIBLY MORE. DONT DRIVE IT ANY MORE

Posts: 18 | Location: New Castle, PA | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the 6L80E, is it supposed to be an improved version of the 4L80E? (Or just 2 more gear ratios, but possibly at the expense of durability)?
My old 2002 HD2500 had the 4L80E, and it was bullet proof, hauling a lot, over plenty of mountains, etc. No issues in 285K miles.
Curious if anyone has the eight-speed 8L90 trans in their 2015 or newer truck, and if it was a costly option, or not a lot of additional money. And would like to hear how those with the 6 and 8 speed trannies like the performance, especially with regard to towing.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post