DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    cam timing based on cranking compression
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cam timing based on cranking compression
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok in another post on compression which actually had nothing to do with my combo it was pointed out the cam I have is way to big. Not big surprise there since its out of blower motor and in fact I knew that when I dropped motor into car.

I had originally installed cam per comp cams 35 at .050. I normally ran this at 42 at .050 per Ralph Gorr's recommendations. With the 35*@.050 it had very low CC. I moved cam around (checke PTV every move) finally got decent CC . Ran the car there.although not as much as would liked to. Ok but not what I want and with 12 to 15* extra duration I di not expect earth rotating power. Finally rechecked timing and it was 10* advance from the 35* at .050. Yea lot but not far off my blower setting of 42*.

Question. Any reason not to run at best CC point ,yes had plenty piston to valve, hell has too much?

Does confirm duration being too high by about 10* or more. since closing is also 10 earlier. Heck should power down closer to usable for this motor. Figure loosing valves some will help also, especially since have always run tighter than most and have room to loosen quite a bit.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
new info just in. LOL

at 35* 160 cc
at 40* 185 cc
at 45* 210
and about as far as I want to try it. Tons of piston to valve with zero lash
It did gain about 5 on each setting with looser exhaust and almost nothing loosening intake.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post