DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What's up with ATI ??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with ATI ??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I will admit that my spragless converter is .1 and 1mph slower than my ATI sprag version, but I slow the car down anyway so I will stick with spragless.

If I was Class Racing, then taht would be a different story and would certainly try to use ATI for that.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
No doubt whatsoever that an ATI 8" Treemaster will be very hard to beat in most cars like Leighs or in my case my old Camaro.

That is what ATI is or was best at.....Stock or SuperStock type cars.

My 8" converter in my old dragster was also very good and never broke.

Without question and that is their core market, class racers, always has been but their converters can't be beat for performance or consistency in bracket cars too.

1.28 60 foot off the footbrake in my former 3900 lb. Chevelle and 1.17 60 foot off the footbrake in my 3200 lb. Firebird are proof of that statement.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So numerous stories about how great they were 25 years ago and many about how crappy service is now. Maybe both are right?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Here's "what's up with ATI"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAURcJAZuI

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
How many times can one be cut open then re welded up? Is there a life span?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
3 times and then $450 to replace the cover, IIRC.

It has been a while. Switched to Chance Converters and never looked back.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DragRacerSBC,

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRacerSBC:
3 times and then $450 to replace the cover, IIRC.

It has been a while. Switched to Chance Converters and never looked back.

Cut mine at least 7 times, did not need a new cover.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I plan on calling Tim Mcamis and asking him to help me pick a convertor for my Window -licking broke dyck car.

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
he'll tell you to call ATI NahNahTounge

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hetzler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:

I think it depends on how much "meat" is on the cover. I had one cut open twice, and the second time it had to have a band welded around it so they could weld it back together.

As for different converters, I will say this, I've owned a bunch of different brands, and the fastest and most consistent is the one that cost the most to purchase. And that sure wasnt the ATI I own. And before anyone asks, I own;
ATI
TSI
TCI
Coan
Dynamic
unknown brand I bought used
and last, a Greg Slack converter.
I dont care what class I would ever run, whether it be stock/super stock, drag radial, or pro mod, I'm buying the best there is, and that comes from Greg Slack.

Posts: 525 | Location: Orange County, NC | Registered: September 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will admit that my spragless converter is .1 and 1mph slower than my ATI sprag version,

Hey, keep your yap shut, this is spragless country here! Big Grin

2.0 hp per cubic inch? This topic is riddled with that "non bracket car" garbage. It ain't no bracket car and it don't belong in any topic here on DRR.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
How many "cuts" depends on how you cut it. If you use a parting tool, and be patient, you can do it many times. I've seen some use a 45 degree tool because it makes for a quick reweld, but it takes out a bunch of meat.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 792 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of Scott Smith
posted Hide Post
Where is Monty Mikho? He's ATI's #1 Fan. We need to hear from him. Razz

Posts: 7021 | Location: Montgomery Al. USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
On YB

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TubeCarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

2. big $ traveling bracket racers account for less than 1% of bracket racers.

Yet your faggot ass always cry's show me the big money bracket checks … Eek
I see your record is still intact . According to the membership here , your still at a 99% failure rate .. Roll Eyes

Posts: 428 | Location: Palm City Fla . | Registered: June 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hetzler:
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:

I think it depends on how much "meat" is on the cover. I had one cut open twice, and the second time it had to have a band welded around it so they could weld it back together.

As for different converters, I will say this, I've owned a bunch of different brands, and the fastest and most consistent is the one that cost the most to purchase. And that sure wasnt the ATI I own. And before anyone asks, I own;
ATI
TSI
TCI
Coan
Dynamic
unknown brand I bought used
and last, a Greg Slack converter.
I dont care what class I would ever run, whether it be stock/super stock, drag radial, or pro mod, I'm buying the best there is, and that comes from Greg Slack.

First I am not busting them on you, but really,

- no one company is the best, period! There are more than a few top notch ones out there
- You certainly have used a number of converter companies
- perhaps Greg hit it for you since there weren't any options left?
- Usually money spend equates to quality but not always! and the most costly piece is not necessarily the best one.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
It is hard to say who is Best but I can say Hughes got my converter perfect. The FIRST time. I have seen people send their converter back several times then talk about great customer service from them. Great customer service would have been getting it right the FIRST time.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of Scott Smith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TubeCarz:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

2. big $ traveling bracket racers account for less than 1% of bracket racers.

Yet your faggot ass always cry's show me the big money bracket checks … Eek
I see your record is still intact . According to the membership here , your still at a 99% failure rate .. Roll Eyes

Laughing Hard

Posts: 7021 | Location: Montgomery Al. USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post