DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fuel filters you need one!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel filters you need one!
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
For all you guys who don't run a fuel filter. This is why you need one.

[IMG][/IMG]

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Let me say this before you tell me you filter your fuel before it goes in the tank and all the other excuses. I also filter my fuel before it goes in the tank but unless you race in a bubble you need a fuel filter.

Heck, you might even need one if you did race in a bubble.

Notice there are some flecks of plastic on there, probably from my funnel which filters the fuel that goes in the tank. Run a filter guys and gals!

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
Just turn the lights off and check your fuel with a flashlight. Laughing very hard

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Fuel filter yes, air filter no. That said, Vern you’ve got something going on there that ain’t normal. I check my fuel filter once a season at the start and it has always been as if it just came out of the box.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
For all you guys who don't run a fuel filter. This is why you need one.]

What micron rating is that filter in the pic?

I’m using MFI and have 100 micron before and after the pump. Have a filter on the primer plus and toilet intake also.

Posts: 2446 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Been using paint cone strainers forever in the funnel. About 190 Micron. Never an issue. Never trusted a plastic fuel jug ever.Stays in the internally sealed VP 5 gallon can. I don't care who claims the fame with jugs. lol....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Is that just one season Vern?

I clean ours every season and typically see half or less than that. It always has lots of random stuff, bits of plastic from the fuel jugs and other stuff that comes from who knows where.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
That looks like the same Ron's filter I use, but I usually get about 1/2 that amount of crap during my annual filter cleaning as well, I don't filter before pouring it in & I use plastic jugs... maybe time for you to look for another fuel supplier?

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Fuel filter yes, air filter no. That said, Vern you’ve got something going on there that ain’t normal. I check my fuel filter once a season at the start and it has always been as if it just came out of the box.

Ed

I know many do not use an air filter and it's not a big deal most of the time but I have seen motors get hurt from UFO's getting in due to no filter. Also I can tell who uses an air filter vs those who don't during engine tear downs! There is no reason not to use one, especially in a dragster application. A good filter has zero negative performance impacts and in fact helps fuel distribution by smoothing out the air going to the carb from the scoop!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Ed

I know many do not use an air filter and it's not a big deal most of the time but I have seen motors get hurt from UFO's getting in due to no filter. Also I can tell who uses an air filter vs those who don't during engine tear downs! There is no reason not to use one, especially in a dragster application. A good filter has zero negative performance impacts and in fact helps fuel distribution by smoothing out the air going to the carb from the scoop!

Completely agree Al. Particularly in a dragster with rocks getting kicked up by the rear tires driving through the pits it’s crazy to not run an air cleaner. On our stuff they don’t hurt ET or MPH at all. This is a pic I took a couple years ago, all the reason anyone should need to run an air cleaner on a dragster. Let alone the small scuffs in the bores when not running an air cleaner.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run two large filters on the inlet before the fuel pump and one at the barrel valve on my hat.

On that fuel filter I would find out where all that trash is coming from.

We should run an air filter but few of us do.
Someone said they can tell by oil analysis if you run an air filter or not and most of our motors have scratches on cylinders from dirt and street cars with 100,000 plus thousand miles are perfectly smooth. That should tell you something.

Yet we still do not run air filters.....

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3980 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
Just turn the lights off and check your fuel with a flashlight. Laughing very hard

Yepper!

I've heard that's how it's done in Flori-dah...

*** Exclaimer: Must be done in conjunction with the use of Black Plastic fuel cells only. Results may vary based on ambient lighting conditions. ***

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Put a filter on the fuel cell vents too Wink

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is the Rons big filter and almost two seasons. More stuff than I’ve seen in it and I removed the filter from my fuel cell vent so it will be going back on.

My point is that the wind blows and there is dirt in the air, so run a filter. Also 90% of my fuel has come from factory sealed Sunoco 5 gallon cans.

No clue on the micron rating, this filter has been on the car since day one, through alky carb, fuel injection, alky carb again and now gas carb.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Ed

Completely disagree Al, I know for a fact that an air filter kills HP, kills ET, kills MPH.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
This is the Rons big filter and almost two seasons. More stuff than I’ve seen in it and I removed the filter from my fuel cell vent so it will be going back on.

My point is that the wind blows and there is dirt in the air, so run a filter. Also 90% of my fuel has come from factory sealed Sunoco 5 gallon cans.

No clue on the micron rating, this filter has been on the car since day one, through alky carb, fuel injection, alky carb again and now gas carb.

I got a question...why not run an air filter? IF it slows you down anything just change your dial..BFD I'll take the protection all the time over changing your dial once....
Only a fuc'n idiot would argue against that..and even if the moron does argue, ignore the b1tch and do whatever you feel like...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
How did that stuff get in your fuel system Vern? You prob have a best guess. Maybe the fuel tank is shedding. My last car had a coating inside to protect the Aluminum and it did come off a little bit, but I ran the same filter and never saw that much stuff ever.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I’m confused a bit. I assume you were talking about Ed. I do run an air filter and two fuel filters. I use the big K&N tapered air filter and the one I posted of the big Ron’s fuel filter and a small one on the line to the Primer Plus pump.

I used to have a filter on the fuel cell vent line. I increased the size of that line and removed that filter according to Ron’s recommendation. After seeing more crap in the big filter I will be adding a filter on that vent line.

My point is still that you need to run a filter. Where we live the wind blows. I also disagree with Ed on the air filter deal. I don’t care if it slows the car down some, out here I’m using one. Good luck to everyone on whatever they decide to do.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that I’m changing all the fuel lines on the inlet side. I’ve already replaced all the ones from the fuel pump to the regulator and carb. I don’t think it has squat to do with the stuff in the filter. I think the extended time on cleaning plus the bigger vent line with no filter is the culprit.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know for a fact that an air filter kills HP, kills ET, kills MPH.

So, what! HMMMM This is Bracket Talk, the little amount an air filter may/may not kill HP, ET or MPH. Is easily taken care of with us selecting our dial in. For the racers that want to chase their tails, keep at it. There are plenty of racers winning with low HP, slow MPH & slow ETs!

Only people with fragile egos will worry about it. Wink

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2505 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post