DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fuel filters you need one!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel filters you need one!
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
.01 in the 1/4 and there was no difference in mph to the 1/8th.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I will stay with my KN filter and the protection it provides. I am mainly running 1/8 mile now but if I do run 1/4 I can live with 1 mph and .01 et.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Cool

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
I will stay with my KN filter and the protection it provides. I am mainly running 1/8 mile now but if I do run 1/4 I can live with 1 mph and .01 et.

I absolutely agree I would but I run an Enderle hat and the air filters for them are big and ugly and block the ram air effect they have. Not a good option on the hat injection. The reason I would run an air filter if I could was when you get an oil analysis test they can tell you if you have been running an air filter or not from how much dirt is in it. Modern cars may have 150,000 miles on them and cylinders look smooth. Most of our race car motors will have small scratches from dirt when we tear them down. Our cylinder walls look worse than street car with much more miles and we do not put many on them at all. It is from dirt and a filter would stop most of it. The bad deal is the filters that stop all of the dirt would kill performance. The K&N type breathe pretty good but do not stop all dirt.

I may lose .01 in many places for the convenience and consistency. I run a big battery, I run an alternator, a bigger rear tire than I really need. Those things may cost me .01 here and there but I think it is worth it.

As for Pro Stock guys not running a filter well they can not afford to give up even .01 that is why they do not run them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Don’t cherry pick, not just pro stock, any heads up cars, most Comp, TS and TD cars and many SS/T, SC, SG, SS and stock eliminator cars too.

Your car your choice.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I'll be honest if I didn't live out west and have to deal with dusty pit conditions at times, I would use the screen that Ed posted. I had the Ultimate dome in my cart a couple times but decided against it.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tony, watch this air filter test/comparison video, Your filter is not providing you with the protection from dust/dirt you assume.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Tony, what the air filter test/comparison video above. Your filter is not providing you with the protection from dust/dirt you think.

I watched that last night. It's not really surprising that the highest flowing, best performance KN filter has the least amount of protection.
I am going to wash my KN filter out later today with just water over a bucket to see how much dirt/dust it actually caught.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Running an air filter of some type is common sense in my opinion and not having one has no place in bracket racing. This ain't PS TS SS etc. We build our motors to run hundreds of passes without a rebuild we should treat the incoming air in kind. It's your motor your money but it sure isnt good advice.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bracket racing is all about monkey see monkey do. Meanwhile, My engines go hundreds of passes before rebuilds and have for over 30 years! Got the Wallys and big checks too. I’ll also bet there are more cars without air filters at divisional and national events then there are with.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth I washed my K&N filter in my utility sink with hot water and this is what came out from last year. I don't know how much went through but at least this did not make it into my engine.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
Put a filter on the fuel cell vents too Wink

This ^^^^

Fuel tank vent sucks in dust I have a -8 fitting for the vent and have one of those K&N filters on mine.

Dave

Do those have a roll over valve incorporated?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
Put a filter on the fuel cell vents too Wink

This ^^^^

Fuel tank vent sucks in dust I have a -8 fitting for the vent and have one of those K&N filters on mine.

Dave

Do those have a roll over valve incorporated?

No.
Back in 2003 I wrecked my Daytona at San Antonio.
It had a front fuel cell and the vent was a -8 AN line that had a 90* fitting and went down the front of the cell from the top to the bottom.
I slid on my roof from about 100" until past the 1/4 finish. Never lost a drop of fuel that I'm aware of. Fuel cell was almost full when we flipped it back on it's tires..
I've never ran a rollover. IMO it is a restriction to the vent.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post