DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Front End Limiters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front End Limiters
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted
Having issues with front end travel on a newer style s10. Has tubular uppers with stock lowers, Viking double adjustable shocks with 350Lb springs. They were set at 8/8 on compression and rebound, now 12 comp 16 rebound.

Figured out when I drop at the finish line it’s taking with the nose so I put a stripe taker on it but still hasn’t fixed the problem (going well under and more mph on brakes) . I believe it’s traveling to high going down the track and during tt the stripe taker is still above the beams. I see several options for limiters, what’s everyone using (prefer not to weld on it) any information and photos would be great. Thanks

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1. you need better shocks
2. you need to adjust your ride height

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just a question. Why so hard on compression? To me that seems to be going the wrong way. I am by no means an expert at this. I am trying to understand better how that would work.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
3. I have cable limiters but they are used to control front end travel, not to tie down the front end.

FYI, 4th gen F bodies have a reputation of tripping the finish line beam with the nose and it's all because of ride height and front shocks that aren't up to the task. My car has never tripped the beams with the nose and I can easily kill 10 mph in the lights.

A good friend of mine several years ago was losing races due to this issue and asked me for help. I told the fix is easy, put my front shocks in your car and set the ride height. He did and hasn't tripped with the nose since.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the approximate height of the finish line beams ? I would think it’d be the height of the reflector on the finish line block ?? If so, does anyone know this block reflector height ??

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I can certainly crank the ride height up more but I do have it up higher then most I’ve talked to already with the same front setup. It’s a Caltrac setup rear simple budget minded truck (6.7s 1/8) I certainly wouldn’t think a Penske or ohlin is needed for something like this.

The shock setup initially was almost all the way loose on compression and it’s been better (more consistent and 60ft) with it being on the stiffer side. Also these were Vikings suggestions on a s10 to help weight transfer

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Does anyone know the approximate height of the finish line beams ? I would think it’d be the height of the reflector on the finish line block ?? If so, does anyone know this block reflector height ??

6” what I am told from my local track

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Funny this just popped up, I'm a week away from finally getting our new truck out and have this exact concern lol

Not sure limiting travel will work for you, Caltracs like travel, taking it away on a small tire may lead to problems.

What arms do you have ?? I went with TRZ and they have a bolt/stop for limiting upward travel. I think you may need to fabricate a snubber to prevent the front end from diving, I just ordered a few varieties today and plan to do that myself. Also, I think 350lb springs are stiff, I assume you run a SB ??? I have the same shocks and I'm running a 250lb spring with a BB. I have the springs about 2/3rds cranked up to get my desired ride height. I also am running a 28" front tire, so hopefully that helps too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HS professor,

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post