DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Delay box wiring for quick disconnect
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delay box wiring for quick disconnect
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of vega3410
posted
Looking for wiring diagram for quick disconnect to run no box. Currently have an elite 500. Push buttons go to ground.

In greed we trust...So where's my money at?

Posts: 187 | Location: Elyria,Ohio | Registered: February 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I have a different box but I used a round weatherpak connector. I have a jumper connector that plus into the car harness and jumps the transbrake button to the transbrake. I remove the box when I no box.
I looked at the wiring for your box and I see how it uses a ground for the TB button and then the box energizes the solenoid. I guess unless you use a button connected to power you could possibly use a relay.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s how it’s best done. This hand drawing is a copy from OhioMafiaWiring original.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
That diagram will work if you have both sides of your button connected to the delay box.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
That diagram will work if you have both sides of your button connected to the delay box.

And that’s what the diagram shows. The jumper from from ground to the push button...when you disconnect the delay box and plug the “shorting plug” in it changes it from ground to power.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I did one for someone recently the same way. It works fine and seems to be most simple way to do it. Another benefit I see is that if they change delay boxes down the road to one that uses a 12V button feed it would be an easy switch.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
When I first used a Mega box on a quick disconnect, I needed to use 2 jumper plugs: one for the transbrake and one to change the button from ground to power. That second jumper is just one more thing to forget!

I wired the same box into my brother's car using the Ohiomafiawireguy method, and it works great!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My car is wired with a slight variation of the OhioMafiaWiring diagram. The harness in my car has the leads going to the delay box split into two separate plugs, instead of just one. The benefit is that when the box is removed, I connect the two plugs left in the car to each other, completing the TB circuits for no-box mode. There is no jumper involved to get lost.

Ben Rawe 383H
1965 Chevy II Nova

Posts: 226 | Location: Alexandria, KY | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I'm electrical wiring illiterate, but to clarify, "B" on the far right would be the connector wired the the no box trans brake button, correct?

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
Sorry if I'm electrical wiring illiterate, but to clarify, "B" on the far right would be the connector wired the the no box trans brake button, correct?

Yep

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
What AWG wire is everyone using for the power wire. The Delay box instructions indicate a 10 AWG wire, but I'm not finding any solid Deutsch connector pins in that size.

David Deming

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What AWG wire is everyone using for the power wire. The Delay box instructions indicate a 10 AWG wire, but I'm not finding any solid Deutsch connector pins in that size.

#14 gauge in mine

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
https://deutschconnectorstore....dt-connector-basics/
If you have to split the power wire out to a separate connector.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

#14 gauge in mine

x2. All wires on the box are 14ga, in both cars.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
Sounds good guys. Thanks for the replies!

David Deming