DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Which Hoosier radial do I need?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Hoosier radial do I need?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted
I'm looking at putting the Hoosier 30x9 "stocker" radials on my truck this winter. It appears there's two options, the 18209 C06 compound and the 18210 C07 compound. In your opinion, which is the better compound for a S-10 that's 2900lbs and has a 1.38-1.40 60'?

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
either will work but the 18209 is the lightweight tire, at 2 lbs. each and won't last as long as the 18210.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Haley:
I'm looking at putting the Hoosier 30x9 "stocker" radials on my truck this winter. It appears there's two options, the 18209 C06 compound and the 18210 C07 compound. In your opinion, which is the better compound for a S-10 that's 2900lbs and has a 1.38-1.40 60'?

I've ran both in our 3,000 lb. + Camaro. The CO6 lightweight went 150+ runs with plenty of check hole left. Changed them just because. The car ran high 9s, with it 60'ing around 1.35. The C07 we got around 200 runs. Both tires worked great for bracket racing.

2BKing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
why not the Hoosier Drag Bracket Radial? it's a great tire.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Creed:
why not the Hoosier Drag Bracket Radial? it's a great tire.

I ran the 18210 C07 tire for a long time on my Nova, but I’ve been using the 28 x 9 bracket radial for a couple years now.

I don’t know that I can definitively say it is better, but I’m not looking to switch back.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I was a Hooser radial fan & they're a good tire. But, I have only owned one set of the Mickey Pro Bracket Radials & they have become my favorite radial. They're a tad slower & a good amount heavier that the standard weight Hoosiers.

After this last week & weekend racing I have around 175 passes on them & they are still going strong. The track was pretty cold when I made my 1st passes of the day. The nights were mid 30*s to 40*s & we were one of the first classes on the track; the track temp had to be in the low 40*s. I never spun & pulled mid 1.30 60's with some nice wheelies to boot.

Both brands are good & both need bias ply burnouts in the cold weather. The Hoosiers were .05 to .10 quicker than the Mickeys.

2BKing Cool

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
The reasons for the 30x9 tire instead of the DBR/PBR tires are:

- I currently run a 28x9 tire and I need to kill some gear, which a 30" tire will do.

- A 10.5 tire won't fit my truck with the wheels I currently have.

- The DBR/PBR tire availability has been horrible.

That being said, since I made this post, I talked to a friend of mine that has two sets of the C06 compound 30x9 tires with low runs on them. I can get them both really cheap, so it's well worth trying to see how they do. If the weather cooperates, I'm going to put a set on this week and use the Thanksgiving race at Beech Bend as a test session for next year.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Go with the non-lightweight tire. Install on a 10" wheel if you have room. I've been running the 18215 30x10.5 for several years now. They are great. Keep the burnout to a bare minimum. They need to just be clean, not hot. Get past the water and marbles. Excess burnout just wears them out faster. What I mean by excess is any smoke. LOL! Seriously, just clean is good and if I mess up the burnout and they grab early they still work perfectly. I basically do a rolling burnout. It's impossible to not smoke them, but a haze is fine. No need to hold one spot other than to initially brake the tires loose. I quit using the line lock.

I went from 10" to 12" wheel recently and like that setup better. The tread portion is flatter and it will hopefully even out the wear. They tend to wear the centers fast on the 10" wheel.

I ran 29X12 bias previously so I gave up 1.5" tread width to change. That's how good they are!

You will like them!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brktracer,

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Brktracer...KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post