DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Searching for main stud kit BigM ARP 235-5603
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searching for main stud kit BigM ARP 235-5603
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Searching for ARP 235-5603 main stud kit BBC dart BigM,backorder everywhere

Posts: 18 | Location: sweden | Registered: May 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mathias:

You need the stud kit with the bullet on the end of the stud.

Hang tight, I'll show you what you could do. Let me see if I can find the photo.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Your machinist can make this happen, I'm sure.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A friend im doing a big cubic inch BBC engine has a couple months in waiting on main studs, he mentioned something about them last week, I'll find out tomorrow if he got em finally. He looked everywhere, nobody had em.

If I were you I'd make my own.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting on sbc dart head studs with the longer thread since January. ARP said they can't get the stock to run them or anything of that size.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Hang tight, I'll show you what you could do. Let me see if I can find the photo.

Why do you need the bullet on the end.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
quote:
quote:

This was a 25 year old new in the box ARP stud kit for a windage tray a friend found in his attic.

I incorporated the windage tray studs in the 25 year old kit, with a 2020 ARP stud kit no windage tray kit.

I did not have to, but I made the 25 year old studs identical to the 2020 studs, by machining the bullet into the 25 year old studs.

If the OP wants, he could do the same, if he can't find the stud kit he needs/wants.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:

I found ONE stud kit I was looking for on Amazon, and it actually came.
Your only hope for ARP is some obscure seller with something that was lost in inventory, or a return laying in a warehouse somewhere.

ARP is a small family business, and was CRUSHED by the California NAZI mandates and union organized "supply chain issues".
I hope they survive.

FJB

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1620 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Crushed, that's the plan.

Remember when Ross Perot said Globalism; When everything is equal Americans work as cheap as mexicans.

They gotta crush us first to build back better for them (feudalism)

We're eating too many of their steaks and using too much of their gasoline.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
ARP is a small family business, and was CRUSHED by the California NAZI mandates and union organized "supply chain issues".
I hope they survive.

Me too, but as long as they are stupid enough to keep their operation in California they are cutting their own throats. Of course that's their right if they so chose.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
quote:
quote:

This was a 25 year old new in the box ARP stud kit for a windage tray a friend found in his attic.

I incorporated the windage tray studs in the 25 year old kit, with a 2020 ARP stud kit no windage tray kit.

I did not have to, but I made the 25 year old studs identical to the 2020 studs, by machining the bullet into the 25 year old studs.

If the OP wants, he could do the same, if he can't find the stud kit he needs/wants.

There are a whole bunch of words there, but is there anything approximating an answer to the quoted question?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Not usually

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4449 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The latest technology in cylinder blocks call for the stud with the bullet, like the Lil M2 as example. I presume the OP's block calls for the same.

It's just my approach that if the manufacturer of the fastener latest technology stud has the bullet, and the latest technology cylinder blocks call for it, it might not be a bad idea eh?

They know more than I do, I don't need to know exactly why to see the trend my approach is based on.

It's not like a guy on the net saying drop a ball bearing in before, screwing in the stud.

The trend is more defined. I know the rudimentary reasons but they're far to subjective IMO to even mention. I'm sure we'll all get an official explanation at some point.

So to answer your question, it's just my common sense approach to follow the lead of the aforementioned.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Not usually

I never put all my eggs in one basket on subjective matters.

There's probably only a handful of people on this planet who know exactly why.

If you wanna ramble on about why, have at it, it'll give them something to chuckle about, I'm sure.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I can find real fasteners for this in the am. It's getting worse, and gonna get far worse.

I ordered a Autometer temp gauge and got a wideband gauge Amazon. They claim they have em in stock, we'll see.

TSI is hanging tough on gearsets at least.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I assumed the “bullet” goes on top, as a place to rest the nut to make it easier to start, which is the case on their valve cover studs. But certainly not a “needed” feature.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I assumed the “bullet” goes on top, as a place to rest the nut to make it easier to start, which is the case on their valve cover studs. But certainly not a “needed” feature.

You voted for Biden too, correct? Confused

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

You voted for Biden too, correct? Confused

Well yeah, I’m not a gullible redneck dumbass.

Look at any ARP blister pack including nuts and studs. Note which end they have the nut on.

Tony Leonard

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
a small ball bearing in the hole will work also

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1392 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I did some Googling and there are some interesting discussions on the practice.

Theories include keeping the stud threads out of questionable threads in the bottom of the hole, allowing the stud to be torqued in good threads keeping it more square to the deck, and keeping the taper of the stud from contacting the deck.

Seems to be more common in aluminum block applications, for whatever reason. I’ve not experienced ARP studs with that feature in my BBC stuff.

Tony Leonard