DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Glide Wedding Ring
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glide Wedding Ring
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
I get kinda stupid when it comes to building stuff. Most times I can't afford to do everything all at one time but eventually get to it.

Here is my latest "improvement" Not saying it helps just saying it is an improvement.With this I think the only bushings left in the trans would be the front pump, front drum, and the bushing in the planet carrier the input goes into. Just about all of them have now been replaced with a bearing.

Sun Gear Bearing Kit

I check out Sonnax every so often to see what is offered. I do know their accumulator kit made a big difference in the way the band looks on mine at tear down.

Dave

Are you using a red or purple servo kit ? Ratio or Super Servo?

Super Hold Servo Kit

I also did the Stabilizer.

Ring Gear Stabilizer

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I had a compressor like this.

Compressor

But I didn't like the way it attached to the case. So I unscrewed it and ran a pair of nuts up the threads, drilled out the threads in the cross piece that holds the feet. Then took a piece of 1/2 in aluminum , drilled and threaded it.
Now I sit the case or drum on the aluminum stick the rod through whichever and screw it down to compress the piston. Works like a champ.

Dave

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
I get kinda stupid when it comes to building stuff. Most times I can't afford to do everything all at one time but eventually get to it.

Here is my latest "improvement" Not saying it helps just saying it is an improvement.With this I think the only bushings left in the trans would be the front pump, front drum, and the bushing in the planet carrier the input goes into. Just about all of them have now been replaced with a bearing.

Sun Gear Bearing Kit

I check out Sonnax every so often to see what is offered. I do know their accumulator kit made a big difference in the way the band looks on mine at tear down.

Dave

Are you using a red or purple servo kit ? Ratio or Super Servo?

Super Hold Servo Kit

I also did the Stabilizer.

Ring Gear Stabilizer

Dave

I can dig it. The trick about these is you can run your line pressure way back and still have the band clamping capacity high hp.

Like Ed making converter/ stator changes. I could roll one of these in his trans with a converter pressure restrictor, eliminate clutches and out run him easy, with his own car.

But Ed don't know how to do anything, so he's at the mercy of others on everything he does. Plus he has no real grasp for how anything works.

You don't bring the converter to the pressure in play, that's what you're doing when you're just throwing converters at a car.

You bring the pressure to the converter in play for dimensions of performance in between, just throwing converters at a car..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a compressor like this.

Compressor

But I didn't like the way it attached to the case. So I unscrewed it and ran a pair of nuts up the threads, drilled out the threads in the cross piece that holds the feet. Then took a piece of 1/2 in aluminum , drilled and threaded it.
Now I sit the case or drum on the aluminum stick the rod through whichever and screw it down to compress the piston. Works like a champ.

Dave

Dave

That's the one that I have too. I took your idea, spun the center screw part around after removing the bottom piece. I drilled that out to slide onto the center screw, reversed it and used a metal plate I had for the bottom of the springs to ride on at the rear of the case. Worked great. I only have to hold that bottom piece on it now with a nut on the top and bottom to use it normally.

Thanks for the idea!

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Smile

Dave

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That’s the same tool I use and lately it pops out so if understanding you guys just reuse the center part and eliminate the spring loaded arms and just pull against back of case or drum correct

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
That’s the same tool I use and lately it pops out so if understanding you guys just reuse the center part and eliminate the spring loaded arms and just pull against back of case or drum correct

Yes just use the threaded part.
I took a piece of 4x2 5/8 thick aluminum and drilled/tapped a h ole in the center. To get the reverse piston out just stick the threaded rod thru the case and into the block. Compress and do your normal thing.
For the forward drum just do the same.

I used mine this way for years. I recently made a trans bench and mounted the block to the corner of the bench. Works great and I'm not chasing the case and drum all over the bench..lol

Dave

DC: one other thing I did was to run 2 nuts up the threaded rod and jam them together with just enough length of the rod to use for either part.

I'll see if I can get a picture when I go out to the shop in a bit.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
This is my compressor. Attached to a bench.

Beside the bottom plate I also made a new one that holds the adjustable "shoes". Mine bent.

Dave

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Great thanks for the pics that’s what I thought it was going to be

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
purple servo for me

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post