DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Accumulator plumbing question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accumulator plumbing question
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I was on YB and one of the members said he had plumbed his oil accumulator with no valve/solenoid BUT his was on an external oil pump on an alcohol engine .I was wondering if anyone plumbed theirs straight on their engine without any valve or solenoid. It's going o. A BBC.I have the adapter sandwiched between the oil filter and the block. Thanks.

Posts: 179 | Location: Matthews NC | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
One of the benefits of an accumulator is that you can preoil your engine before starting it. Without the valve/solenoid, the oil will bleed off when shut the engine off. Further everytime you start the engine your oil will diverted to fill the accumulator. Once full it will operated as needed

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes , diffently put a electric solenoid on it , wire to ingnition switch so when you start it pre oils , an when you shut off , it locks oil in acusump for next start up . It will be the best investment you ever made to protect your engine . My second one I purchased was a Canton , seems to be a much nicer unit than my moroso that I have in my other car .

Posts: 14 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ok solenoid it is .Thanks guys

Posts: 179 | Location: Matthews NC | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Put a separate toggle switch on the solenoid so you can turn the ignition on without the Accusump valve opening.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Moroso’s part number for the 12 volt solenoid is 23905.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Here is where I bought mine. Actually owned by Jegs. Works like a champ.

https://www.electricsolenoidva...id-valve-ss-12-volt/

Put a separate toggle switch on the solenoid so you can turn the ignition on without the Accusump valve opening. Do what Rich said!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5308 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Before you plumb it just think about what it is and what it does. Also think about where the oil goes when it dumps the pressure. The oil will take the path of least resistance.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The electric valve is directional and you have to install it so it is correct.

It will hold pressure with it OFF in the canister if its correct.

My gauge stays up for months...

The pressure acts on the valve inside it and holds it closed.

If you install it in the wrong direction it will not hold the pressure.

I have mine plumbed into an adapter that goes between the block and the oil filter. A Moroso item and a Moroso 3 qt canister.

I have used it for years and my bearings are always like new when I pull my engine apart...

Moroso 21049 pan, Moroso cast iron race pump with a custom made brace to prevent pump breakage...

I have a low oil pressure light on my dash....15lbs....It never goes on....

You cannot use clamps on the canister anywhere but at the ends of the cylinder.....

I have a -10 or -12 line from the accusump to the filter adapter....

Accusump is mounted above trans on a mount made by Racetech on my dragster...

Its ugly but I don't care.....LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post