Find
Notify
Tools

msd 6014 help
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted
Anyone here had any dealings with the 6014?
I am trying to fire my new engine and it will not fire unless i have my laptop hooked to it.
No fault codes except for coolant temp sensor which im not using.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
paul try reloading the file from your laptop,if you want save the one on it now.this is assuming thats the way it works.i started reading but would have to study more.maybe mark will see this and fix you up

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
With your laptop attached to the 6014 and having an internet connection go to Help and select “Check for upgrade”.

I’ve never personally used this ignition module but have several questions.

If engine is running with the laptop attached, what happens when the USB cable is unplugged while running?

What curve selection is the dial on the front of the Ignition box set to?

In Settings, what is the Coil Type and Idle Timing Controls programmed to?

If not working call MSD Tech help.

Or try posting this question to YB Electrical Forum.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
It dies when i unplug the cable.

curve is set to custom 1 and i have tried it on the preset curves also.

coil is set to auto, i have tried it on truck coil also.

Idle timing is disabled.

I will check and see if there is a update available.
Thanks for the reply

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The programming is very simple in this box and appears it’ll run without the MAP or Coolant Temp being connected. Selecting Auto for the coil leaves the Ignition determine the proper setting.

I’d call MSD to get a RMA # and send it to be repaired. I believe there’s something electrically wrong with this ignition box imho.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
paul try reloading the file from your laptop,if you want save the one on it now.this is assuming thats the way it works.i started reading but would have to study more.maybe mark will see this and fix you up

Already tried that Rusty.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
The programming is very simple in this box and appears it’ll run without the MAP or Coolant Temp being connected. Selecting Auto for the coil leaves the Ignition determine the proper setting.

I’d call MSD to get a RMA # and send it to be repaired. I believe there’s something electrically wrong with this ignition box imho.

I will call them Monday and see what they say.
Thanks

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
paul is battery voltage above 10 while running

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
paul is battery voltage above 10 while running

Yes it is.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
It seems like the tune isn't saving in the box for some reason.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by markemark:

I’d call MSD to get a RMA # and send it to be repaired. I believe there’s something electrically wrong with this ignition box imho.[/QUOTE

Mark,
msd tech is saying low voltage or ground problem. In the research i have done that seems to be their blame for all problems with this box.
If that is the case why will it run when connected to the laptop?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rs72z:

Mark,
msd tech is saying low voltage or ground problem. In the research i have done that seems to be their blame for all problems with this box.
If that is the case why will it run when connected to the laptop?

Here’s what I suggest that will require 2 #10 wires long enough to reach your battery (30 amp fuse optional).

Wire 6014 ground directly to battery ground, and the #30 terminal on your relay directly to the battery positive and try.

If same failed results, call MSD tell them how you wired and get a RMA# if this is under warranty.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Already have the hot to the battery. They are now saying it's a bad ground, that's why it will run while attached to the laptop. I don't buy that but will try running the ground to battery also.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rs72z: I don't buy that but will try running the ground to battery also.

I agree about the ground, but by doing so you prove that their product is defective.

He’s what I think could possibly be wrong. I think the Firmware file is possibly corrupt, OR, they could have a feature not turned ON to allow this ignition to run without a communication device attached.

When they were making 7730 Grids back in 2013 the made over 500 of them without the Firmware Update feature being turned ON. Everyone that had one of these had to return them so this Update feature could be enabled.

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I just used mine for the first time. I had zero issue. For the first fire up I put the dial on LS1HO, Red wire straight to battery thru switch and the black to ground. Fired right up.

I say the box is bad.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
I just got done running more grounds with same result.
I will be calling for a rma in the morning

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got done running more grounds with same result.
I will be calling for a rma in the morning

Prior to sending it to MSD do this. Attach to 6014 and go to Help / About. Record the serial number (S/N File) of this ignition box. When you get it back, check to see if you have the same box or a different one.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Done

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Box is on it's way back to msd. Sure screwed up my plan of being able to race this weekend.

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Box is on it's way back to msd. Sure screwed up my plan of being able to race this weekend.

This is the reason I will be buying a second box for a back up as soons as the car is ready to go to the track. My next LS engine will get a distributer so I can run the standard MSD ignitions.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post