New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spark Plugs
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Lookng for the best plug for a 415 small block Chevy on alcohol wth Dart race heads.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/VGzbxmTHQN0

This has a NGK 9. It runs alright. I bolted the engine and trans together and it dipped in the 5's N/A off the trailer 3200 lbs triple chrome plated steel bumpers, roll up windows factory condition 69 Nova SS. Out of the box Brodix T1 233, 700 lift Bullet cams, Bo Laws alky carb 427 cid.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
NGK r5671a-8 rockauto.com has the best price I've found on NGK

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^ RockAuto for spark plugs X2

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
NGK or an Autolite AR would be the two I'd choose from.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rarmbruster0001:
Lookng for the best plug for a 415 small block Chevy on alcohol wth Dart race heads.
Not much info on your motor. But run as hot a plug as you can. Many racers make the mistake of running to cold of a plug.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 29, 2020 08:39 PM Hide Post
quote:
Not much info on your motor. But run as hot a plug as you can. Many racers make the mistake of running to cold of a plug.

x2

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
quote:

X3

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I run -7's on alky, -8's on gas. (NGK heat ranges - Lower # = hotter plug).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
I run -7's on alky, -8's on gas. (NGK heat ranges - Lower # = hotter plug).

I understand. I agreed "run as a hot a plug as you can".

Did I read that wrong? Misinterpret what I agreed to?

I'd be interested in seeing a better looking plug.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
7's up to around 14 to 14.5 to one, 8's if you run more compression.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:

What NGK plug would you guess Brodix recommends 14.5:1 Track 1 23 sbc, if you had to guess?

This plug literally has twelve wide open laps on it, with a few small adjustments to the carb in between. Bo Laws

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

What NGK plug would you guess Brodix recommends 14.5:1 Track 1 23 sbc, if you had to guess?

This plug literally has twelve wide open laps on it, with a few small adjustments to the carb in between. Bo Laws

-8 gas
-9 alky

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6356 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a set of Dragon Slayer 225 that are now 242. This is what Brodix has in there instructions

• Spark Plug Starting Points:
NGK R5671A-9 for Alcohol
NGK R5671A-8 for Racing Gas

I use -9 with MFI and a PP 14-1.

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

I have a set of Dragon Slayer 225 that are now 242. This is what Brodix has in there instructions

• Spark Plug Starting Points:
NGK R5671A-9 for Alcohol
NGK R5671A-8 for Racing Gas

I use -9 with MFI and a PP 14-1.

Same for Brodix T-1, they're a lot alike.

I'll tell ya who does nice port work on those is Weingartner in Oaklahoma. He did a set of DS for a guy I know with a early 70's Camaro small tire Super Pro bracket car with, I thinks it's a 406. So it's a fairly heavy car, and it rides out pretty good, I think it has dipped in the 6 teens, low 20's for sure.

Same for port work on my old 215's and they flowed as good as my T1 233. The Dragon Slayer heads work great with a little work if you hadn't done anything with them yet, dude does good work reasonably priced. He does a lot of DS heads.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll tell ya who does nice port work on those is the guy Weingartner in Oaklahoma. He did a set of those for a guy I know with a early 70's Camaro small tire Super Pro bracket car with I thinks it's a 406. So it's a fairly heavy car and it rides out pretty good, I think it has dipped in the 6 teens, low 20's for sure.

Same guy did port work on my old 215's and they flowed as good as my T1 233. Those Dragon Slayer heads work good a little work if you hadn't done anything yet with them, that dude does good work reasonably priced.

Eric did my first set of Dragon Slayers that were 235 back in late 2015. My second set in 2019 were 242. He also did the Eddy SV II 2892 intakes for both sets as well. Very nice.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
I'll tell ya who does nice port work on those is the guy Weingartner in Oaklahoma. He did a set of those for a guy I know with a early 70's Camaro small tire Super Pro bracket car with I thinks it's a 406. So it's a fairly heavy car and it rides out pretty good, I think it has dipped in the 6 teens, low 20's for sure.

Same guy did port work on my old 215's and they flowed as good as my T1 233. Those Dragon Slayer heads work good a little work if you hadn't done anything yet with them, that dude does good work reasonably priced.

Eric did my first set of Dragon Slayers that were 235 back in late 2015. My second set in 2019 were 242. He also did the Eddy SV II 2892 intakes for both sets as well. Very nice.

Super intake, I like those too. Sounds good.

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hard to tell from the picture, I run 8's at 15.5 to one, a colder plug killed power. It does depend on engine temps as well, I'm under 170 back at the trailer. Leave the staging between 125 and 135 depending on the time of year. Circle track engines run hotter, requiring a colder plug. If you run the engine on the hotter side or run a fuel requiring higher temps to get sufficient vaporization then a colder plug may be in order. Run colder temps and the right fuel and plug you gain power.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hard to tell from the picture, I run 8's at 15.5 to one, a colder plug killed power. It does depend on engine temps as well, I'm under 170 back at the trailer. Leave the staging between 125 and 135 depending on the time of year. Circle track engines run hotter, requiring a colder plug. If you run the engine on the hotter side or run a fuel requiring higher temps to get sufficient vaporization then a colder plug may be in order. Run colder temps and the right fuel and plug you gain power.

I had a guy I raced with, ran his dragster cool like that on methanol. I turn the corner 160. 165-8 when I turn on the Pre-stage. Methanol.

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
If that is a methanol plug I would try a hotter plug. Methanol takes a long time to color like that if everything is right, even E85 stays white for a long time. Excessively rich or cold won't keep it clean. Even with methanol I don't pull out any higher than 140. Cold engines make power, as long as you get sufficient vaporized fuel and a hot enough spark. Methanol can be challenging, it takes a lot of heat out of the engine to vaporize. Over fueling makes it worse...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers