DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2 step and a blower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 step and a blower
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of tony palmieri
posted
I searched some post and see where people say it's not good to leave off a 2 step with a blower. I have a small weiand 177 and was going to hook up the trans brake and a msd 2 step, I talked with weiand the guy said it isn't recommended but didn't say why or what was the problem with it.

tony palmieri

Posts: 19 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: April 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I did it for a few years with a 8-71 and 10-71 with no issues.... I did set it up where I was on the chip just briefly....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
On that small of blower not sure its as big a deal. I know with 14-71 or screw blower where boost is north of 4o lbs it can get nasty.Like mains out of KB hemi broken in half nasty.

Dumping fuel into non firing cylinders and having BV at full flow is reason they hurt parts. IMO a SLE is hell of lot better deal with 2 step as backup.If box allows(K&R doesn't) you can dial in sle to open right before transbrake and limit time with BV open. JMO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I use mine for burnout and launch. Bearings look as good as new last 2 times I've been through the engine.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i thought blown alky (tad,tafc)all left starting line on chip ????

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
i thought blown alky (tad,tafc)all left starting line on chip ????

I thought they had to find the sweet spot with their foot. Maybe not.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
None that I know of. Although with screw blower
and smaller ci due to OD restrictions,they are on the floor. Landers is around 9000 to 9500.Shift is 11,000 You can hear the valve springs crying.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of tony palmieri
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, do they make an electric starting line enhancer? When I searched the only ones I find are air

tony palmieri

Posts: 19 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: April 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'd use a starting line enhancer and back it up with a chip. Adjust the enhancer to limit rpm just below the chip (approx. 100 RPM).

Why not air operated?

I don't know of an electric one.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Been running a 477 bbc B&M 250 Power charger rons flying toilet off the two step soon as my side of tree comes on no problems yet 4.70s in a RED

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have bot found electric SLE.Main problem with trying to buid one is most electric solenoids don't have enough stroke. Most are electric over air.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Automatic transmission pro mods mostly use a chip.

That said, when talking with CP about my pistons breaking around the pin boss he explained to me how the chip was causing the breakage. With high compression ratios and unburned fuel the cylinders actually end up hydrolicing because the fuel should have been burned up and smaller volume. It made sense, I would be careful to understand what the volume of the cylinder with the unburned fuel is. If it's not mega compression, or hydrolicing, I would figure it's ok.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of tony palmieri
posted Hide Post
Thank for the great information, I'll look into the starting line enhancers

tony palmieri

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used to use a high idle solenoid off of an old gm car as an SLE to set the rpms up while I bumped in. I’m sure you could do something similar to set launch RPM. It couldn’t open the throttle by itself but it would hold it open once I got it there.

I use a 2 step on my blower car. Only way I’ve ever done it.

The 2 step was legal in the alcohol classes for a couple races until Manzo (or somebody like that) used it and went too fast so they outlawed it.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post