DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Backup up Camera For Trailer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backup up Camera For Trailer
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I was thinking it would be pretty cool to have a backup camera that mounts on the back of my trailer.

Anybody have one or any recommendations?

Very wide range of prices.Some come with a monitor,some you can use your cell phone as a monitor.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I did a little research into this but just a little and wireless ones I was looking at I don’t think any had enough range to work with my Motorhome. This was several years ago so technology I am sure has improved.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wireless works great. My rig is 82’

Posts: 73 | Location: sand point, mi | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I also did some research and found a wireless camera (RVS 355W) that has a 100 foot range with a 7 inch monitor for $380, less 10% if you are a Vet. This is a exterior mounted camera that can be upgraded to include three cameras.

1 (866) 979-9991 and ask for Jan

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Good info and I will be checking into them in spring. I have to back a good ways into my drive and if you go off one side you have to get pulled out. Not easy thing doing at night.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 50 ft trailer. But mine has a cable. At the time the wireless were said to not have a strong signal. Also have one inside the trailer to look at while driving.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I have a android head unit and a rear camera on the back of the 53ft trailer. I use a cheap 5.8g transmitter to see the idiots that drop in behind me but aren't visible in the mirrors.
https://www.amazon.com/GOQOTOM...v%2Caps%2C234&sr=8-4

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Good info and I will be checking into them in spring. I have to back a good ways into my drive and if you go off one side you have to get pulled out. Not easy thing doing at night.

I have put a small pair of fog lights at the front of the wheelwells on all of the trailers that I have had for years now. They shine right on the trailer wheels. Really helps in backing up at night. I wire them up using a relay driven off of the backup lights on the truck.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
quote:
Originally posted by green1:

I have put a small pair of fog lights at the front of the wheelwells on all of the trailers that I have had for years now. They shine right on the trailer wheels. Really helps in backing up at night. I wire them up using a relay driven off of the backup lights on the truck.

I have been wondering about that because my dusk to dawn light on house is on one side of trailer when backing up and creates a shadow on the side where you don’t want to be off the drive.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

docking lights

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Oem technology eventually reaches the aftermarket. The surround vision technology that some are offering right now is amazing. Expensive I'm sure. But how great would it be to see an overhead showing all the way around the entire rig? Probably my only complaint about pulling with a motorhome is visibility/blind spots. Even with line of sight, if it is 80 feet back, that's pretty small in a mirror.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
I have a android head unit and a rear camera on the back of the 53ft trailer. I use a cheap 5.8g transmitter to see the idiots that drop in behind me but aren't visible in the mirrors.

Joe

What camera do you use?

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:

Joe

Thanks for the tip. I am one of the few still towing an open trailer with just getting back into everything 3 years ago I am working on acculmulating everything. RV came first to keep the wife happy. A toad and a 28 or 30 enclosed are hopefully next years project. I am also interested in what camera you used. There seem to be so many and would like a real world review.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
here's the camera, https://www.amazon.com/eRapta-...id=1608514429&sr=8-1

I got it along with 50ft of RCA Video & DC Power Extension Cable, connected to the 5.8g transmitter. I put a small toggle switch and a small led light to tell me i left it on. Smile the transmitter is by the goosneck so the signal only goes about 15ft.

The reason i got that camera is it has a slightly narrow field of view and no lights when it's powered on. You do have to cut one of the wires so you don't have backup lines.
my review, I would like a even narrow view because after a car is 30-40 feet behind they kinda disappear, but at that point i can pick them up in the mirrors. The best part is passing a truck, as soon as i see their front end I know i am 4 or 5 ft in front of them, works real well crawling along in a traffic jam.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying this one and have been quite happy with it so far.

https://www.amazon.com/iStrong...t-reviews/B07H3PGBYB

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post