New
Find
Notify
Tools

1997 F350 A/C
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a 97 F350 with a power stroke. Just all of a sudden out of the blue I started having trouble with my air conditioning.
It gets kinda cool, but not cold. The compressor cycles on and off very few seconds.
Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Posts: 404 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Well, if it is low because of a leak, the pressure switch will kill the compressor.
A 97 has a lot of time on it, annnnnnnd you could very well have a leak, my 02 just lost the evap after 17 years.
Another thing is the clutch, if it is too worn the magnet will not hold anymore, sometimes removing the shim, an ro grinding the stem on the clutch will revive it for a few years. If it is low and or has been low fro a while the clutch wear will increase.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sounds like classic low Freon, but Bad News give you other things to consider. A set of gauges would be your friend. However you can go with a charge kit that has a low side gauge that you could get by with. Put a thermometer in the middle vent and it should drop in temp. as you charge. And the clutch should cycle off and on less. Good luck.

As an addendum, I once experience one of the metal line running from the evaporator to the condenser had a hole in it. It was touching the inner fender and over the miles/years vibrations wore a hole in it. So you never know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Canted Valve,

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post