DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fuel injection questions.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel injection questions.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:Please, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I have complete Grid ignition and use a crank trigger. Can all this be used to work with HP EFI ?

Yes. The crank trigger will go to the HP EFI, and an output of the EFI will go to the points wire of the Grid. The grid will only be used as a CD box for spark at this point, and all timing, rev limiters, retards, etc. will be handled by the EFI.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I'm a little different about EFI.
First, part throttle IMO isn't very useful unless you are throttle stop racing. Drag racing is just pretty simple. But you can of course adjust fuel cylinder to cylinder if you have 8 injectors. Same with timing. You can get the afr flat for the entire run with some help from self tuning suggestions to the base map.
But......
I don't trust the self adjustment completely. o2 sensors can and do go bad, or drift or get a sniff of something. So I use them to get a base tune, and then really limit how much influence the self tune can have. I may warm up to it later. But I find it predictable to have a warm weather tune and a cold weather tune.

That said, with turbos, the efi becomes absolutely limitless. You can control boost with the ecu everywhere during the run if you like.

Learn should be turned off once you are happy with the tune. It's only to help you tune your base table easier. Also, once you're happy with your tune, you should either turn your CL Comp limits down (I like 5%) or run it in Open Loop. Also, I like to use the same tune all year (setup with previously mentioned adjustments), and have it move less with weather changes. It will follow weather, it will just take much larger changes in weather to see a .010 ET movement.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
efi.....comparable to ron's and maybe just a tad faster
Going to alky was the biggest difference of them all.

What EFI system are you using ? Is this on methanol ?

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
efi.....comparable to ron's and maybe just a tad faster
Going to alky was the biggest difference of them all.

What EFI system are you using ? Is this on methanol ?

Yes methanol. I run a MS3Pro Ultimate ECU.
I can give opinions only about that brand since it is all I have run. Since they are universal, and can power anything, I found the setup challenging, and the learning curve with the software steep. However, the software is quite powerful, and allows you to do just about anything. Which it should, as it is their top of the line. The only thing it lacks is the ability to control a late model electronic transmission without an additional unit. That would be a nice addition. They have lesser units that subtract a few features and I/O's. You can go pretty basic with them too, and those are quite affordable. Tech support is not specific to drag racing, and response is always within 24 hours, but usually not same day. Phone tech support is tricky to get.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Also, I found the msd box and the MS unit to be unhappy with each other. I ended up going coil on plug, and everyone was happy then.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fastracer482: Also considering a flying toilet. Anyone have any comparison between efi and the flying toilet?

In cost, an HP / Dominator efi system will be over 2X as expensive as a brand new toilet system to include a brand new primmer plus and 15 pills to tune with.

With Ron’s FI you have great tech support purchasing through James Monroe at Killer Rons for the exact same price as Rons.

With EFI I believe you will need to find tunning support. That’s my first impression.

MFI is easy to learn and tune with excellent results. If you want ignition control and some easy to use data acquisition adding a MSD Grid 7730 to your present analog ignition is well worth the $450 investment and still under half the cost of EFI.

A racer posted that you should consider increasing the converter stall of your engine and I agree. I believe this would make a huge difference in achieving better consistency.

I’m seriously looking at efi now, but keeping my 30+ yr old mfi as well.

I recently (Nov) went from a 4.40 to 5.14 rear gear, made one pass, re-stalled the converter 400 rpm more and made 3 passes at a local track 1 week later. Here’s a sample of the weekend results the first day at Piedmonts Loose Rocker Race last weekend. The difference in weather DA between the two runs 4+ hrs apart was 550’.

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Call joe at https://hyperaktive.com/ for efi questions

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post