DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Chromoly VS Aluminum Drive Shaft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chromoly VS Aluminum Drive Shaft
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I'm in the market for a new driveshaft. Car is 3200 lbs, 800 hp, 8000rpm, t400 transbrake, and driveshaft is 46" in length. Aluminum (4") about 10 lbs lighter than chromoly (3.5"). Anybody pickup any et going to an aluminum driveshaft? Future hp maybe in the 1000 to 1100 range. I've been looking at PST and Inland Empire for aluminum. Any recommendations?
Thanks, Brad

Posts: 182 | Location: Bellingham, Washington | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
I'd be surprised if anyone would build you one for that combination. My advice, don't do it. I've blown up 2 of them in my dragster, and they are only 10 inches long. And I might have 900hp on a good day. The damage done to everything nearby is not pretty. But this advice is free, so use at your own discretion. Big Grin

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 793 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I sure liked my aluminum one, much easier to work with, but it came apart as I left the line a couple of years ago, went back with a chromoly, didn't notice any difference but its only about a foot long.

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I switched to a chromoly from aluminum...7lb difference...no et change...if you dont want it to break get moly

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
we broke several aluminum shafts in a dirt late model good ones but they just couldn't take it. went back to steel problem solved.

Posts: 39 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Probably king of lighter is better. In this case I would go stronger and at 7 lbs I would think its anywhere near the ratio of risk vs reward.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
My car uses an ~52" long driveshaft. I've had numerous ones over the years with different combinations. 3 1/2" MMC Denny's with a 750 hp bbc. Then a 4" 6061 Dynotech with 1215 hp at 3000 lbs (glide) and now with a th400 I run a Mark Williams 7075 that is glued together. Never had an issue with any of them.

In our customers cars we use either PST or MW.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would have to go with the durability crowd on this one. I recall WJ breaking an alum. driveshaft at a national meet one time. Unless you're obsessed with alum. a sportsman has little to gain on this item. The relative small circumference makes the centrifugal force a minor factor, say opposed to a 27" bicycle rim/tyre combination.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your replies. It sounds like for durability, chromoly is the clear winner. I was hoping to shed a little weight but i want a bullit proof driveline. The Mark Williams 7075 is a bit more $$ than I wanted to spend but seems to be the ulitimate piece.

Posts: 182 | Location: Bellingham, Washington | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
Mark Williams 7075 that is glued together.

This..
My Avenger was 1300 hp 1050 Tq. I built the car in 2003 and ran it until I started running the dragster. Still have the driveshaft and will likely put it back in the car with the hemi.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I've put Mark Williams aluminum drive shafts in cars with well over 3000 hp and had no issues.

I wouldn't use any drive shaft in any race car that didn't come from Mark Williams though. I've seen plenty of off brand junk blown in aluminum and steel.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If your going AL then MW is the right choice and only one IMO. Also note that short DS for dragsters are more prone to beak vs typical door car shafts! MW doesn't recommend them for dragsters but they do make them and the have held up in the ones I know about.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Going to an aluminum (not MW) driveshaft made no difference in the performance, zero gain but it did lighten my wallet. Went back to the MW chromoly shaft for reliability after seeing a few aluminum shafts fail.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you're bracket racing just buy the moly shaft. I too have broken an aluminum one in my dragster. Not fun.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've got a chromoly PST shaft in my TS car and it's been great. Switched from a strange chromoly because it took a lot of weight to balance it and it was wearing the yoke funny and starting to gouge/crack the yoke right on the side where the weight was. The PST took much less weight to balance and has been great. if i were going to something lighter i'd skip Alum and go straight to Carbon Fiber.

Posts: 133 | Location: ohio | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Aluminum 3.5 & 4" since I built the car in 96, 2600-2700 lbs. zero problems - started w/ 3.5 @ 870 h.p. switched to Dynotech 4" @ 1084 h.p.

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lighter is not always less rotating weight. If you have bigger diameter drive shaft you need to calculate the different in weight of rotating mass, longer från centerline = heavier. Probably is a 4" aluminum heavier than a 3" chrome moly.

Posts: 3 | Location: Sweden | Registered: December 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post