DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    trans bell housing studs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trans bell housing studs
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
does anyone happen to know if they sell a stud kit for bell housing on a powerglide trans ATI case if that matters.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
of course they do

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll try to actually be helpful....

I've always used ARP 245-0901 (2" oal) for the aftermarket cases...but I don't remember ever with an ATI case so make sure the 2" studs work for yours.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I try to help all here, offering advice and solutions based on first hand, on track experience with multiple cars over 3 decades, even you with your battery debacle. You on the other hand typically help no one and the majority of your posts here are negative comments about me and my cars.

That said, what I’m not going to do is a Google search for the Op. if he is incapable of that, he should not be in a race car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I try to help all here, offering advice and solutions based on first hand, on track experience with multiple cars over 3 decades, even you with your battery debacle. You on the other hand typically help no one and the majority of your posts here are negative comments about me and my cars.

That said, what I’m not going to do is a Google search for the Op. if he is incapable of that, he should not be in a race car.

You should have just said that out loud, to yourself, then moved on, instead of sharing.

Let's face it, you just want it to be about you. Roll Eyes

To the OP , if your car has the factory firewall / floor, studs might not work for you. You may want to just opt for the extra length case dowels to ease assembly alignment. Wink

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1658 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong Full Moon

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
This is really getting to be Yellow Bullitt at it's worst!

Let's all be gentle people!

This is a TECH Section, not a Circus!

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
This is really getting to be Yellow Bullitt at it's worst!

Let's all be gentle people!

This is a TECH Section, not a Circus!

You know what to expect.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you folks but I am sick of the word trans. In every form it could be used in it has been ruined for me. Sorry for the rant.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
I don't know about you folks but I am sick of the word trans. In every form it could be used in it has been ruined for me. Sorry for the rant.

Trans is better than Tranny…just sayin

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

To the OP , if your car has the factory firewall / floor, studs might not work for you. You may want to just opt for the extra length case dowels to ease assembly alignment. Wink

This.

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Can I ask why studs? Never seen the need honestly.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
Can I ask why studs? Never seen the need honestly.

When your help pops the threads out of your aluminum block over tightening your bolts you will wish you had studs.

Having said that - I still use bolts with steel inserts in the aluminum block now.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Never used studs and bolts too in my aluminum block.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of the bolt holes in my block fail. Did helicoils at the track because that's what I had at the time. Getting replaced with Keenserts now....might go the stud route too just to make things a little easier, but then again, it would make getting the transmission out more of a pain because the frame rails on my car get really narrow after the rear engine plate...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Never used studs and bolts too in my aluminum block.

If you put studs instead of bolts for your trans you wont be able to get it in or out with your Undercover dragster, ask me how I know Big Grin

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Holy Moly

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a alum block and yes last yr we pulled the threads I did all steel inserts this winter when the motor was at the machine shop i am just being cautious now I should have no problem getting the trans out with studs

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a torque wrench is your friend Wink

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
always had studs for tranmission. IMO it ia easier. slide transmission over struds nad then put on few nuts and draw into place,everthing aligns itself as you snug nuts down.Now that is provided you don't act stupid and tighten them dead tight one side w/o other side seating in place. Discalaimer done

No mention of transmission short version where used in this post.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post