Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Using braided steel brake lines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using braided steel brake lines
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
when changing over how do you redo or do the distributor block to accept fittings for braided steel brake lines -3an x 18" npt fittings

Posts: 357 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
Forget about that block or any brake lines on the housing for that matter. Run hard line to the area above the LR (on the chassis) and install a 3an bulkhead tee. Use 1 port for braided to LR caliper, use other port to run hard line to area above the (on the chassis) RR. Install 3an bulkhead straight or 90, use that port for braided to RR caliper.

Results are no brake lines on housing which is much neater, and more importantly you can R&R housing anytime without bleeding brakes. Same approach can be used for front brakes.

...and if ya need some real good advice about bleeding brakes ........ there's a reeeeeeal good thread on here about it !

Laughing my a$$ off

This message has been edited. Last edited by: XPS fan,

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 3184 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
To avoid other threads already waist deep BS. I have always just connected a line to each calipers blled.Open them with line in cup or bottle with some fluid ,Then pumped brakes and keep master cylinder filled after 3 or 4 fills I shu bleeds and system is ready. Easy one mad job and never failed even with street junk.

I agree with XPS on running hard line and T-ing off at housing.Less braided line the better.

http://www.schooledbyscotty.com/
Only the stupid know too much to learn something new.
Chris McBride

deplorables saving america one vote at a time

Posts: 1349 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
posted Hide Post
where did the OP ask about how do you bleed your brakes? Roll Eyes

Posts: 8547 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Since the OP's post inquired about fabricating new brake lines, I (with my steel trap like brain) surmised that eventually the need to BLEED verb (used without object), bled, bleed-ing ...... would occur in his near future.

Sometimes ..... perhaps ..... I A S S u m e too much????

Razz

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 3184 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
quote:

Since the OP's post inquired about fabricating new brake lines, I (with my steel trap like brain) surmised that eventually the need to BLEED verb (used without object), bled, bleed-ing ...... would occur in his near future.

Razz

Nah.....good input. Not the type of advise that one with a PC, cell phone and credit card (the DRR technical forum guru) could provide.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 73 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
posted Hide Post
Fred, my comment was in response to the reply after yours

Posts: 8547 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JCDRAGS:
when changing over how do you redo or do the distributor block to accept fittings for braided steel brake lines -3an x 18" npt fittings[/QUOTE Which block are you talking about? Are you meaning the braided lines at each wheel? My lines were made to accept standard steel line nuts at one end and have banjo fittings on the other to match my stock calipers.

Posts: 464 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
quote:

Razz

You don't know anything about the OPs situation not to mention are 1000 miles away, how can you possibly know he's going to bleed his brakes?

When I was a parts counter jockey (which obviously all by itself qualifies me to answer any question on here) I mentioned something about bleeding to a guy who was turning in his core for the brake caliper he was buying. He says, "Nahhh, I ain't gotta worry bout that, My Cousin at home with his thumb over da brake line till I get back..."

Posts: 711 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Canted Valve
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Nahhh, I ain't gotta worry bout that, My Cousin at home with his thumb over da brake line till I get back..."

I too was a parts jockey in a past life. I can relate to the above, as sad as it is. Smile

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 1133 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Fragola (among others) make adapters to go from inverted flare to AN.
PN 650302 is 3/8-24 thread inverted flare to -3 AN male, thats what I used on the back brakes of my chevelle..

Posts: 118 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post