DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    SBC Valve Springs
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBC Valve Springs
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted
Looking to replace my current valve springs before returning to the track. Is there a certain brand you lean to and also is there one to stay away from? It is a 414 ci. sbc with Brodix track 1 heads and Jesel shaft rockers. 7500 ish max rpm. Thanks for your Input

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
Looking to replace my current valve springs before returning to the track. Is there a certain brand you lean to and also is there one to stay away from? It is a 414 ci. sbc with Brodix track 1 heads and Jesel shaft rockers. 7500 ish max rpm. Thanks for your Input

Camshaft specifications will be needed.

If you just need a brand suggestion, I like ISKY Tool Room springs.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did something change in your combination? If not, why not replace the same springs with new if there were no issues with the current ones.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2493 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
This engine was a complete rebuild last year. The valve springs are the last to be replaced and I have no idea what springs were used previously.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think mine are the PAC 1225 and have been very good. .817 lift.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3963 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Mine is an Erson grind # R300/450
108 lobe separation, 675 int.645 ex
@.050 duration intake 274 duration exhaust 282 designed for 1.50 rocker arm ratio. My Jesel are 1.60

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
If they aren't broken, and it's running fine, I'd leave it alone.

Posts: 621 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Call Erson, tell them what cam you have and have them give you their part# and specs for the springs which are made by either PAC or Associated then buy the equivalent PSI or PAC springs.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree Ed, sounds like a solid plan.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Is this the cam?

From Erson online catalog

There is a spring suggestion at the bottom of the page, if so. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
Is this the cam?

From Erson online catalog

There is a spring suggestion at the bottom of the page, if so. Take care. Tom Worthington

Something is wrong in the matched components/springs. Max lift on the springs is .650, max lift on Intake of cam .675. Something is not right or I misread something.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2493 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I saw the same thing, but I flipped to the next page and the associated spring was over 700.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Tom, that cam looks very close but the lobe separation on mine is 108 and I believe my 1.6 rockers add a small amount of lift over the 1.5 my cam calls for.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom, that cam looks very close but the lobe separation on mine is 108 and I believe my 1.6 rockers add a small amount of lift over the 1.5 my cam calls for.

Must be a special grind because it's not in the catalog.

The specs you gave are alright light car 434 plus cu in with a 1.6 rocker on the intake, decent 23 degree cylinder head but I don't see it anywhere in the Erson catalog.

Lunati makes a sbc roller cam with those specs, I've used in the past.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Typically what I do in a case like you're talking, I buy two sets of springs in order to not have a bunch of leftover spring to coil bind on the exhaust.

My camshaft is 720 and 660 as example, so I have a spare set of springs on deck currently, for that reason.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

.675 lift with a 1.5 rocker would equal .720 with a 1.6 rocker. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
PSI or PAC. Valve springs should calculated by weight, type of retainer, locks.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What I mean to say is two different part #'s

I have a ISKY Tool Room part# 9985 on exhaust - 660 lift

ISKY Tool Room part# 9995 on intake - 720 lift

When you do it like that, you'll have a full set on deck.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a good un, light car 434 plus. I did one in the 2000's 1.5 crane gold rockers on a set of Brodix T1 227's ported by the local porter who does my pump gas BBC intakes.

750 hp plus on gasoline. The car slowed down on methanol.

So much for methanol being faster, not on an efficient engine it's not, gasoline is.

This is a good un though - for run of the mill chit - ordinary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post