DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    SBC Valve Springs
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBC Valve Springs
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Call Erson, waste their time, then buy the springs somewhere else........

Then complain that the brand you crossed the Erson number over to didn't work correctly on your application.

HMMMM

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Call no one, figure it out yourself.

Then when you win, you'll know you accomplished something individual, authentic, original.

Bolt it all together too. Engine, transmission and ring & pinion.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Erson today,very friendly and informative. Will get back with them on Monday with more information on my part. Their pro lineup of valve springs seem like a well made product and they seem to be proud of them. More next week. Thank you all for your input.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
By tha way, that is not a catalog grind. Smile It is a Woodfin special and a proven winner.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
By tha way, that is not a catalog grind. Smile It is a Woodfin special and a proven winner.

Looks alright, I'd run a 1.55 on her.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I just got this back.

Nice unit 4-7 swap, billet roller core staked on iron gear for everwear distributor gear instead of bronze.

Run a 1.6 and 1.5 exhaust on this.

Nice piece, with how hard it is to get cams, I told the man hell yeah I want it back.

Good sbc Super Pro bracket camshaft

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Intake 427 lobe lift - 1.6 683

Exhaust 430 lobe lift - 1.5 645

276 284 106 102

Looks killer, maybe a tad small 427 like mine, but it'll work.

406 with AFR 220's or Brodix T1 227/ or DragonSlayors with a bit of port work it be pretty tough to beat power wise, I'd bet 406.

I oughta just build 406 back up engine we still have the Brodix T1's weingartner ported, those would be killer with this camshaft high compression on methanol.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have used the 50140 cam, and it is very good.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Was using that cam in 406's way back in late 80's & early 90's and still have a couple at the shop and have a few friends still running it today.....That cam..AFR heads..on 406...at 3200 lbs have been high 5.90's..6.0's....recently......But I have never seen it as a 4/7 swap.....

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
Was using that cam in 406's way back in late 80's & early 90's and still have a couple at the shop and have a few friends still running it today.....That cam..AFR heads..on 406...at 3200 lbs have been high 5.90's..6.0's....recently......But I have never seen it as a 4/7 swap.....

Recently you've seen this cam go 5.90 - 6.0 at 3200 lbs n/a in a 406 sbc engine with AFR cylinder heads?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year in cooler weather......

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
Earlier this year in cooler weather....

n/a? nah, or show us. Nothing personal but this is the internet.

Ya gotta show evidence.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
One not even a 406,but straight up 400.....evidence should not be a problem,since they are still racing....

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I have never really been involved in any way with performance heads, that being said I really do want to learn what makes the valvetrain tick. My Track 1 heads came with my engine so I don't know anything about them other than the springs will be replaced. What about retainers,keepers & valve spring locator. Replace as well ?

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
I have never really been involved in any way with performance heads, that being said I really do want to learn what makes the valvetrain tick. My Track 1 heads came with my engine so I don't know anything about them other than the springs will be replaced. What about retainers,keepers & valve spring locator. Replace as well ?

Depends on what you have. If it has titanium retainers, you're good there. Locks are in-expensive. Take a magnifying glass to the end of the valve, look them all over real thorough.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Hopefully if everything works out I will get together with Mr. Woodfin tomorrow morning and get all of the measurements finalized on the valve springs. I haven't checked but maybe a person can get valve springs these days. I sell air conditioning for a living and some of those components are a ***** to get these days.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think you're in good hands with Larry!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2500 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I think you're in good hands with Larry!

Yep, knows exactly what to do.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
The springs pockets on my heads have been modified to accept larger 1.570 valve springs. It is so incredibly tight with this spring size do yall see any issue going to a 1.560 or even a 55? I have the correct spring locator. TY

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
The springs pockets on my heads have been modified to accept larger 1.570 valve springs. It is so incredibly tight with this spring size do yall see any issue going to a 1.560 or even a 55? I have the correct spring locator. TY

PM banjo, he has nearly the same cam specs as you. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.