New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lifters
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Getting ready to build a new motor and was wondering what most was using for lifters now days. I have ran jesel and crowers in the past and have heard some good things about bam but was wanting real world experience. will most likley use 903 bushing lifters, I am not a big fan of having a lifter come apart.

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've always run Crower in my own personal BBC and sbc, beat the crap out of them hundreds of laps. Have only caught one bad wheel before it exploded. I think with any brand that's the key, you gotta be good at catching a bad wheel. I think.

Wouldn't mind having a set of Jesel though.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
BAM... I am running their latest lifter doesn’t even have a bushing...PAR is running BAM exclusively

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I switched to Crowers in 2003 and have not had a failure yet.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
No matter the brand, you gotta be good at catching a bad lifter.

For instance we were standing around watching a friend I had done a couple transmissions and a BBC for, get ready for Div 2 bracket finals. I was watching him adjust the valves and I told him you got a bad lifter there. That was the last thing he wanted to hear getting ready to peel out. He says I'll kiss your arce if that's a bad lifter. Long story short we fished it out BBC and it was a bad wheel. He's now an expert in catching bad lifters, Which is a good thing. I think, my opinion. They give you a warning. The better they are, the better the warning.

The more service they have on them, the more you check em.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Crower all the way and you will never look back.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Isky ezroll max or isky ezrollhelix. Both are bushing style lifters. The helix option is their latest and greatest option in the bushing style lifter family.

I tried some crowers a few years back, 300 psi on seat, 780 lift, killed the lifters in less than 100 passes. I'll never run crower bushing lifters again. Isky has been awesome for me, and same price as crower bushing lifters. Had them in some very challenging setups 350 psi on the seat, 870 lift, factory diameter and they performed well. 200+ runs before rebuild.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a set of Morel needle bearing roller lifters. Over 400 on the seat, camshaft approaching one inch lift sbc. We were considering Jesel, Crower as well.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run the Crower bushed lifters and have not had any problems.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3981 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Been running Crower needle bearing lifter for last 15 plus years with zero issues. Have only own three sets that whole time and never had any rebuilt. No exotic lift cams or monster springs.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Most are their own worst enemy with roller lifters.
Fresh out of the trailer, and let it sit there and idle to warm up.
15 years + Isky 20296-RH,.842, 3 new sets and 3 rebuilt sets at 300-350 runs, dry sump engines always primed, no failures. 290-310 seat, 7-850 open, 72-7600 rpm.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My 468 has Isky bushed .842 lifters that I put back in during the last freshen. Roughly 7-800 runs but I'm replacing them this time just because I feel guilty.

My 632 has Crower bushed, .937. Three trouble-free seasons but I probably only put 50 runs a year on that.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Isky EZX or EZMax and Bam bearingless are your two best lifters on the market right now

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I’ve had zero issues with Isky needle bearing lifters. Their best one they offer. I was told they can be converted to bushings and I’m going to get them done. Nothing but positive feedback about them.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
BAM FOR THE W

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bushing lifters have a place but I think we can all agree pro stock is the cutting edge of normally aspirated push rod combustion engine research and development. You won't see a bushing lifter in a pro stock engine.

While we're on this topic, I'm curious if anyone has run steel rockers? Any noticeable downside? Thoughts?. I'm doing a little research.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Bushing lifters have a place but I think we can all agree pro stock is the cutting edge of normally aspirated push rod combustion engine research and development. You won't see a bushing lifter in a pro stock engine.

How can you compare PS to bracket racing? Really? The money factor is like a 1000 to 1!

Back on topic, I have run Isky's EZMAX for a number of years now, great product that lasts! On my old combo, .842 BBC lifters with over 4 seasons on one set with .875 lift, 350 plus on the seat and over 1000 lbs open - still going!
My current combo has .904's with 3 seasons on them, still going!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree with Al, there is no comparison between lifters used in a ProStock engine and a Sportsman application. The lifters in those engines are frequently replaced during a season, at best they compete in fewer than 25, four round events. A decent bracket engine application will exceed more cycles than any Pro Stock engine. While you are looking at a typical Pro Stock Roller lifter pay attention to the design difference, it looks nothing like Sportsman lifter.

Personally I would not use a needle bearing type roller lifter in a Sportsman engine, not with the ramp speeds, lift and seat pressures we currently use today. Bushed type lifters are a better choice, unless you plan on changing, or rebuilding them, several times a year.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

How can you compare PS to bracket racing? Really?

Where did I compare pro stock to bracket racing in my post (reality)? I did point out bushing lifters have a place. I can think of several scenario's I wouldn't use a bushing lifter bracket racing, now that you mention it.

Just depends on how rad.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

How can you compare PS to bracket racing? Really?

Where did I compare pro stock to bracket racing in my post (reality)? I did point out bushing lifters have a place. I can think of several scenario's I wouldn't use a bushing lifter bracket racing, now that you mention it.

Just depends on how rad.

Bracket racing is just that, if you are implying that bushings can't or shouldn't be used in bracket racing engines,,, which you are, then as far as I am concerned your definition of a bracket motor goes well beyond most if not all others on this Bracket Talk board would consider to be a bracket motor!

You may now carry on with your dislike of bushings in any motor. And just to be clear, I am not saying needles don't work!

And BTW just for the record, I know of a number of 1300 plus HP BBC using bushed lifters with great success with what I would consider non bracket racing bump sticks and valve springs, not PS worthy but far beyond bracket racing!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post