Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Front Runner Air Pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Front Runner Air Pressure
 Login/Join
 
DRR Sportsman
posted
I raced a guy last week who said he had 15 psi in order to keep from going red.

Is that safe?
 
Posts: 261 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
About the time he hits the brakes hard at the finish he may find out it is insane to have that little pressure
 
Posts: 4434 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
I way 2003 lbs at the line ready to race. No way I would run that low even at my weight. 25 lbs was as low as I've felt comfortable running. Lower might be okay but I couldn't tell any difference in reaction on my set up. Doesn't compress the tire like a heavy car. That just seems crazy to me.


2017 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion
 
Posts: 739 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
been 8.70 155 28" tall at 14.0 psi handled like a rocket sled on rails combined with the 4.0 i had in the 16 33 rears. Then they made long throw buttons legal and took all the fun out of it.
 
Posts: 270 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
I always run 32 in my front runners. I adjust launch RPM and rear air pressure. Adjusting rear pressure seems to make a bigger RT difference than front pressure for my car.
 
Posts: 203 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Back before I learned about DEEP Staging I used to leave at idle, 1200rpm, and maybe 20 psi in my front tires so I could catch the tree. I was leaving somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd Amber. Once I tried 500 Pro Tree racing I learned what I had been doing wrong for years!

Now I am DEEP, 40psi in the front, 20psi in the back, 10.00's and hit the tree no problem, anything worse than .020 and I feel that I missed it!

So with that little pressure in the front, he could pop the tire off the wheel under hard braking or fast cornering........
 
Posts: 1705 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run as low as 22psi but would not feel safe running less than 20psi, as said before lower the launch RPM if it takes that little PSI to go green.
 
Posts: 353 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Depends on the size of the tire and the weight on them. My Altered has 600 Lbs on front tires so I can get away with very little. With the skinnies I run as low as about 25 but with the bigger front tires I have ran as low as 14. Now a door car has more weight up front and I would not run it as low. IMHO.
Now I usually run 30 up front on the skinnies and use a JNT transbrake button.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Our products are not designed for ED, they are designed for COMPETITIVE RACERS"

2X SHRA NE2 CHAMPION.
 
Posts: 1174 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
Its sad how up tight and worried some of you are. This is America the land were Alan Sheperd hopped onto a balistic missile and said sure ill ride it up to space and not to mention Arnie Beswick makin his crew guy crawl into his funny car with him to shine a flashlight on his gauges while he made a blast down an unlit back country road.

Obviously you people that worry didnt study the sport or pay attention. Garlits clearly proved that you can go 270 without front tires. So unless youre goin 271, dont worry bout it.
 
Posts: 270 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Boucher Jr killing it twice on this topic, lol. Big Grin


Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!
 
Posts: 508 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
As I get older, I find myself to be a bit more 'risk averse'....... ;^)
 
Posts: 65 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RB72Duster:
I always run 32 in my front runners. I adjust launch RPM and rear air pressure. Adjusting rear pressure seems to make a bigger RT difference than front pressure for my car.


Thank you for that tip. Does increasing your rear tire pressure lower your RT then? I'd have to worry some about spin then.
Cheers
 
Posts: 65 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ran a final round with a near-flat a couple years ago, noticed it was pulling a little toward the drivers side but didn’t think too much about it until I turned off the track and could tell something was bad wrong. Stopped to look on the return road and drivers side Hooter front runner was dead flat (only on one side though..ha!) I eased to my trailer, shot some air in it, and by the time I made it to the winners circle for a pic it was flat again! We took winners circle pic from passengers side lol.
Turns out the wheel had a crack where it was welded together..
Also had a blowout at the stripe once, front runner was cut (dang glass bottle!) and I didn’t know, had the guy covered and tapped the brakes, and BANG!! It went all kinds of stupid but I kept it straight and off the wall and in my lane somehow. The guy I was racing caught it all on his gopro. Luckily my slow crap was only going 7.0’s @100. Ruined a drag light, a hooter front runner, and a dang good pair of underwear..
 
Posts: 119 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iforgot:
I ran a final round with a near-flat a couple years ago, noticed it was pulling a little toward the drivers side but didn’t think too much about it until I turned off the track and could tell something was bad wrong. Stopped to look on the return road and drivers side Hooter front runner was dead flat (only on one side though..ha!) I eased to my trailer, shot some air in it, and by the time I made it to the winners circle for a pic it was flat again! We took winners circle pic from passengers side lol.
Turns out the wheel had a crack where it was welded together..
Also had a blowout at the stripe once, front runner was cut (dang glass bottle!) and I didn’t know, had the guy covered and tapped the brakes, and BANG!! It went all kinds of stupid but I kept it straight and off the wall and in my lane somehow. The guy I was racing caught it all on his gopro. Luckily my slow crap was only going 7.0’s @100. Ruined a drag light, a hooter front runner, and a dang good pair of underwear..


Could it be the brand of tire you run causing it? Nothing worse than flat Hooters. Uncontrollable Laugh


2017 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion
 
Posts: 739 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Boucher Jr killing it twice on this topic, lol. Big Grin


Was just pointing out facts Jim Big Grin
 
Posts: 270 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've run 15 to 45 psi in a 3000 lb S10 with no issue, heck I have a buddy that runs Stock with 10 psi in the fronts.
 
Posts: 469 | Location: Indy | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:


Could it be the brand of tire you run causing it? Nothing worse than flat Hooters. Uncontrollable Laugh


Incidentally, I’ve had no more cases of flat Hooters since putting M/T’s on the car!!
And you’re 100% correct, flat hooters are NO GOOD!!
 
Posts: 119 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Front Runner Air Pressure

© DragRaceResults.com 2018