DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Identify Converter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identify Converter
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
In a nut shell I need some help identifying a converter. Now you will probably say just call the manufacturer and ask them (BTE) and they will tell you. Well I did that and here is what transpired. I was told to start the car and get on the 2 step and I would get my info and thats the best way to find out. Ok but the motor isnt in the car and Im trying to find out more about it before putting the motor in. Go online and fill out the form and someone would call me but without my cars info they cant help. At this point I was confused because I have the part numbers that are stamped on top of the converter and previous owners name but that wouldnt do any good. Guess im not that big name racer so I cant get the superior customer service.
Converter number is BTE366100SL

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is a 9" CCX 200+ steel stator converter. It is spragless and the converter is setup for a Chevrolet engine and a 30 spline input shaft.

That doesn't mean a lot to most people, especially when you are just looking for the stall - but we have some 20,000 plus race converters floating out there in the world, and the stall is dependent on the car. We ask customers that buy second hand units to fill out this form so we can make as an accurate estimation as possible.

If you'd like to put some the details here, I can make an estimation for you, but the form process is to try to provide accurate information for anyone asking about the stall.

I feel like we are as good or better than most companies that handle these inquiries - we take as many as 10 calls a day just about second hand unit stuff.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 26 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I thank you for your reply and this post could have been avoided if the person on the phone simply took the part number and explained just as you did. I was just trying to get a baseline for this converter as we were exploring the option of it being used in Super Gas. This would be behind a 582 BBC with Brodix BB2 Heads. I apologize for not having more specs on the engine but its in a Davis roadster.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Apologies for the experience - we normally try to be as helpful as we can, but we're a little understaffed in the sales department based on the volume of business we're doing right now - the greatest part of the value we offer to a customer is "prescribing" the right converter for an application - there are many shops that can weld up converters, but knowing how to apply them to each customer's setup is our expertise - and we try to take that as seriously as possible in terms of accuracy.

I would estimate that converter to flash anywhere between 6000-6400 based on that information. Note, you will possibly need a midplate spacer kit, which I assume the roadster has - give us a call and we can supply, or email me, brandon.barrentine@bteracing.com and I can assist.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 26 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Thats pretty close to the converter I run in S/G. The guys at BTE are very good and my years of dealing with them may not mean much to you but I wouldnt hold this against them as we all have bad days.

Just find out what they suggest your launch RPM to be and go and try it out. I think what you are wanting to know is if you should change it before putting motor in (to save the hassle of pulling back out). I think its worth leaving in and seeing what it does.

Brandon what would you recommend they launch the car at ?

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I sent him an email.