Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Racepak trans temp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racepak trans temp
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am putting a temp sensor in the trans line for the Racepak. Should I put in the top or bottom line coming out of the trans. Also what kind of temperature should I see during the run.

Posts: 40 | Location: chicago | Registered: July 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You can’t put it in the pan?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 4638 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
Better to install the temp sensor in the trans pan.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alky

Posts: 229 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Why is it better to install in the pan? Just curious as to your reasoning.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I put mine on the pan simply because I want to know trans temp of oil going into trans and converter. That tells me how well the cooler is working.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Our products are not designed for ED, they are designed for COMPETITIVE RACERS"

2X SHRA NE2 CHAMPION.

Posts: 1194 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ollies69:
I am putting a temp sensor in the trans line for the Racepak. Should I put in the top or bottom line coming out of the trans. Also what kind of temperature should I see during the run.

The output line from the trans is on the bottom. That is where you will see the fluid temp as it leaves the converter. You will see the temp increase rapidly during the run. It may rise 60-70 degrees or more during the run. What is surprising is how much the temp will drop just driving the car back after the run.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want to watch. ^^^^^ Bob ^^^^^ is right bottom line out will show instantly what is going on with the trans. By the time it gets back into the pan it is already cooled off. During a run the temp in the pan barely moves.

So IMO if you're trying to identify a possible problem use the line out, if you're only concerned about consistency the pan would be the spot.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 3184 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
I am not just concerned about the fluid temp. I have always considered the expansion potentially of the converter physically due to heat. Measure your converter at room temp and then when fully hot. I Try to use the fluid temp coming out to correlate (somewhat) with the Size of the converter for consistency. Still working on it.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Place a sensor in both the pan and the line then put a switch on it? I know it can be done for digital gauges. Why not a racepak guage?

Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posts: 316 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post