Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    N2O, does it go bad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

N2O, does it go bad?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted
A friend is getting back into racing again and he has a bunch of n2o bottles filled from 5 years ago, as long as the pressure is there the 'juice' should be good right? Thanks....

Posts: 158 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't see why not. Weight the bottles, pressure is not the best way to tell! It's just a function of temp...

Posts: 1225 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It could sit there 100 years and it will still never go "bad".

Only thing to go wrong is the bottle valve develops a leak and all the nitrous escapes in gaseous form, or the bottle corrodes through from the outside and it all leaks away or the bottle suffers catastrophic failure(explosive blow-out).

Posts: 4 | Location: Lower Michigan | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If there was any moisture in the bottle maybe sitting allows some corrosion to form somewhere inside but I probably wouldn't throw away $50 worth of nitrous to be able to have a look see.

When I bought a used bottle my main concern was always the dip tube. I knew my usage for a given tune up and if I put a different bottle in and got different usage, I would dump it and look inside. A Digital fish scale from Walmart is a good investment.

Posts: 711 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
He may have to have the bottles "hydro" tested before getting refilled from a commercial source.

DG

Posts: 147 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
only the "organic" type, it should have an expiration date somewhere on the inside of the bottle.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 39 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yeah right, "asking for a friend"

Uncontrollable Laugh

Posts: 102 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
N2O, just like CH3OH (methanol) are chemicals. As long as they are sealed to outside properties and there is not any contamination, they will remain forever.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 269 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
183N, you don't think I'll ever play w/ that stuff do ya? I just hope that 632 is going to have enuff grunt! Purple Hippo Dance "My BUDDY" wants to go to S. Carolina for the Street Outlaws 'Live' event later this month. Thanks for replies...

Posts: 158 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post