Find
Notify
Tools

New problem
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted
I have a unusual problem that has developed. I had been running the Titan Copper Head gaskets. I had a problem over Labor Day weekend with filling up the Cooling overflow. I pulled the heads & installed new Cometic gaskets. Took the car to Richmond last weekend & everything was ok. No water in the overflow. Came home & re-torqued this week & went to Keystone this weekend. On both days while warming the car up it would push water into the overflow, but after that it would be ok. After each run I would check the over flow & nothing would be in there. The water level is at the intake level. There is no water in the filler neck. Today it did the same thing. I did do a leak down when I got home today & the #4 seems to be leaking slighty through the intake. The car has not been very consistant lately either.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if system is completely full cold ,it will push a small amount to can.if using a recovery system it will go back after cooling.if no recovery the rad will stay a little low and will be full again after heating.if you refill everyday it will push everyday.pressureize system and see if it will hold pressure

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I hope this isn't your problem, but I had a cracked head that acted similar. It would pump compression into the cooling system, but once it was warm it was OK. I suppose the crack leaked when cold, but shrank/sealed when it got warm.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Right. That is what I thought was the issue on Sat. On sunday I pulled the cap & checked the level before starting the car & it was at the top of the intake. There was no water in the filler neck at all. Filler neck is the Goza Style so it holds a fair amount of water. After warming the car up Sunday the overflow was full again. I am going to try a different cap and start the car tonight and see if water starts pushing out.

quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
if system is completely full cold ,it will push a small amount to can.if using a recovery system it will go back after cooling.if no recovery the rad will stay a little low and will be full again after heating.if you refill everyday it will push everyday.pressureize system and see if it will hold pressure

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If you have a cap on the intake fill the system, leave the cap off don't turn the water pump on and start the motor. If you see bubbles coming up you know something is wrong. Sometimes you can see which side it's coming from. Sometimes you don't even have to start it, just cranking it over will make the water move.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post