Notify
Tools

Switch to Q16
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch H:

DragRacerSBC, I sure hope that my convertor does NOT pick up 400rpm, as it already flashes right where I want it....6900.

I'll grant you one thing Mitch, you are a funny guy.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Mitch. Mark IS the man.. I have never seen an unhappy customer ever. He has this down to a science. There has been many that have followed him for years on his works. Even the 3 to 2 circuit conversions. Mark, Tuner and Yeti. A lifetime of knowledge. It's not really that hard of a job at all. Keep us updated. I wish they had another "Carb Shoot Out" That was priceless.
Sorry, forgot about Shrinker too.

Mark is Extremely good! Had some great conversations with him.
We still work with Zach Baker, Scooter and Little Phil from the old QF. Zach is on his own and running the family business now so a few carbs but Scooter and Phil are at FST Fuel System Technology in Mich. They just completed 4 carbs for us, 2.400 and 2.5. Very happy so far working with theses guys. All of these guys did really well in the carb shootouts! That was some great product testing and know how!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4469 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Al Alguire:
I have run Q16 since it came out. There is more power there for sure with the correct modifications for sure. But more importantly you will be more consistent with it. It will take a wider move in the air for you to need tp change a number for me that benefit was well worth the change, especially on the stop.
QUOTE]

Everyone I know who used this fuel for typical national and divisional races has canned it. It is not been predictable out of the trailer at the start of each day, needs one hit each day to get a base line. The other issues that they have dealt with is storage. If you don't do it right you will get burnt when you open a fresh batch! If you need to pick up a bit of performance and can't use NOS then it works but other than that, the juice is not worth the squeeze!

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Everyone I know who used this fuel for typical national and divisional races has canned it. It is not been predictable out of the trailer at the start of each day, needs one hit each day to get a base line. The other issues that they have dealt with is storage. If you don't do it right you will get burnt when you open a fresh batch! If you need to pick up a bit of performance and can't use NOS then it works but other than that, the juice is not worth the squeeze!

Was not and has not been my experience at all. I do think there is something though to people in climates with more humidity than out here. It is VERY susceptible to contamination form the air/environment. If you leave it in the fuel tank where air can get to it the "potency" seems to be an issue. I had the same issue when I used to buy it by the drum. We solved that by using nitrogen as a barrier after opening the drum. Now I just buy pails, it needs to stayed sealed in the pail it came in, NOT in plastic jugs particularly white ones. In your cell just cap or plug the vent or you can do what I did if the car was going to sit for long periods. Drain it and run some pump gas through the engine, especially if you live in humid environments.

On the heads up care we run C45 and race back east. The car is stored back east between races and sits for extended periods. We drain the fuel, cap the tanks vent, and fog the engine after each race. The fuel is always put back in the pain, lid tightened and we then tape the top of the pail to keep air out of it.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I only purchase the 5's as needed. Stored in a heated shop. Even tho the shop is kept a minn temp in the winter. I store it off the cold concrete on a shelf.Never failed me yet.

Al, I lost the change papers on the MTBE to EBTE.
Do you have those? or is it ETBE?

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
I only purchase the 5's as needed. Stored in a heated shop. Even tho the shop is kept a minn temp in the winter. I store it off the cold concrete on a shelf.Never failed me yet.

Al, I lost the change papers on the MTBE to EBTE.
Do you have those? or is it ETBE?

According to my fuel supplier at the track there is two different versions of Q16. One has MTBE and the other has ETBE.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I was told, don't remember. MTBE was banned and now only ETBE in the Q16. might of been old stock.
I have to look at the new cans.

Banned or switched over...

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Q16 REG is the original formula with MTBE. The Q16 without the REG on the label is the new formula with ETBE. We have seen back to back on the dyno a solid 15HP difference in the two.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Q16 REG is the original formula with MTBE. The Q16 without the REG on the label is the new formula with ETBE. We have seen back to back on the dyno a solid 15HP difference in the two.

Same thing my supplier told me. He only sells the “reg” version

<DOTracer>
posted

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:

Was not and has not been my experience at all. I do think there is something though to people in climates with more humidity than out here. It is VERY susceptible to contamination form the air/environment. If you leave it in the fuel tank where air can get to it the "potency" seems to be an issue. I had the same issue when I used to buy it by the drum. We solved that by using nitrogen as a barrier after opening the drum. Now I just buy pails, it needs to stayed sealed in the pail it came in, NOT in plastic jugs particularly white ones. In your cell just cap or plug the vent or you can do what I did if the car was going to sit for long periods. Drain it and run some pump gas through the engine, especially if you live in humid environments.

On the heads up care we run C45 and race back east. The car is stored back east between races and sits for extended periods. We drain the fuel, cap the tanks vent, and fog the engine after each race. The fuel is always put back in the pain, lid tightened and we then tape the top of the pail to keep air out of it.

My experience as well. I don't see a problem with the first run. I always drive the car around before the first run to make sure it's up to temperature and let it heat soak,

After every race I pull a line off the regulator and pump all the fuel in the tank back into the VP can. I only buy 5 gallon cans to keep fuel fresh. I also store it on a piece of plywood on the floor to insulate it from the concrete.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
And people think Methanol is a PIA.
What advantage is this stuff over methanol?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6355 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
And people think Methanol is a PIA.
What advantage is this stuff over methanol?

Doesn't seem to me that pumping fuel out after a race is a big deal. Takes me maybe 5 minutes if that.

Q16 will make more HP than methanol. Also no need to change the fuel system.

I have considered switching to methanol, but the change over is too much of a PITA. New fuel system (front mounted cell & mechanical pump and regulator), new carb, leanout valve, primer system... Just not worth it to me.

<DOTracer>
posted
BTW, Q16 isn't much if at all more costly than C14, C14+ or C15. If I remember correctly, it's roughly $50-10 per 5 gallons, so no real cost savings going back from Q16.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Well, that sure was fast!

Got a pile of BLP jets, some air bleeds, and even new metering block gaskets today. Should find time to make the changeover this weekend.

A couple more questions.....

For the guys that switched to Q16....did you make any timing or plug changes? I am coming off of C16.

Also, once I get this thing sorted out, if I decide to stay with the Q for the rest of the season,(assuming the season starts) can I feed the empty 5 gallon cans of Q16 from a drum?

It sure is easier for me to have drums of fuel, so I always have fuel available when I can carve out time to go racing.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
No timing or plug changes for me, if it went any direction it might need a degree or two less. Because of the light hydrocarbons in Q16 being susceptible to evaporation you would want to keep the drum tightly sealed and in a very cool place.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My timing way back when never changed from C14+ tp Q16. When I switched the price was the same for the two fuels out here so it was kind of a no brainer. I did all the modifications myself and Im sure it could have been better.

If you are going to use a drum I highly suggest using nitrogen in the barrel after you open it the first time and each subsequent time. Otherwise by the time you get to the bottom of that barrel you will likely have a problem. Why I switched to just getting 5 gallon pails. I know prices vary widely across the US. We run the heads up car back east and fuel is much cheaper for us back there than it is out west. At least C45 and Q16 are.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark!

Al, I have no problem sticking with 5 gallon jugs, but I have to find a source close by.

I get my fuel from the local track, but they only order a couple of times per year, and most folks just buy drums.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post