Find
Notify
Tools

Switch to Q16
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted
Thinking seriously about giving Q16 a try. Running C15 now.

Hoping to find a solid starting point for jetting.

I have been told to go up anywhere from 2 to 4 jet sizes. Sure would like to find somebody with a similar setup that made the switch and hear where you ended up.

If it helps....

Car weighs 2440 in the lights
638 bbc w/12 degree Raptors
16.2:1 compression
Profiler Hitman with a pair of 1250 dominators

Also, what type of ET gain to the 1/8th can be realistically expected?

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Don’t do it....smell will kill ya...only picked me up .04 in 1/8....and it’s to dang expensive......but if you screw up an switch the main well is your issue...

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
LOL.....

I know that Q stinks really bad.

I am looking to run some 4.70 index stuff this year, and am not ready to switch this car over to a nitrous deal.

A .03 gain would work for me, a .04 gain would really do the trick on hot days.

Any suggestion on jetting up the carbs?

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you can get Renegade in your area try the K13 or K16 we used the K13 last 2 years it wont kill you with the smell, don't know about the k16 though but both are cheaper than VP fuels. We had a carb built for the fuel too.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I ran Q-15 for a few races.

Its a blend of Q-16 and C-15 I think it was.

I bumped jets about 4 numbers from what I was using and it ran fine with no issues.

I had some inconsistency issues and it was not the fuel but I thought it was at the time and stopped using it...

I definitely picked up a couple MPH.....was running S/C so can't say hw much ET but for sure a decent amount...

The smell and fumes from the stuff is very bad.....I couldn't stand it !!!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Here is an article that gives you an idea what is to be considered when using Q16. Mods have to be done. BLP produces a #5120 metering block that performs well with Q16. Angle channels must be enhanced also.

Mark Whitner is the man to see. I run the Q on the 598 on a single QFX 1450 and a 115 MM SV1.
You have to remember, the conventional block has the the idle feed tube of which is the restriction in the main well. A lot comes into play here.

Here is the 5120 block spec.

5120 Series
3 circuit .850 thick that features an isolated idle circuit, which does not use an idle feed tube in the main well. All of the third circuit passages are fully adjustable. Uses standard 1/4 x 32 Holley® jet thread. BLP 5315 bowl screws and 5205B-850 pump levers are required for these blocks..

I have a set of 1050's spec'd for Q16. but not a 12** head. If you decide to try it, do not put it in a plastic fuel jug. Leave it in the can.

Good info here.

https://www.hotrod.com/article...oxygenated-race-gas/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack but what if you had a q16 carb and wanted to run 112 on say a 14.5:1 deal, is the metering that much different?

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

TD3550, I will contact Mark Whitner, thanks. Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Q15 was worth 10HP on the Dyno versus C15 on a 598.

Posts: 60 | Location: div5 | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rymo:
Not to hijack but what if you had a q16 carb and wanted to run 112 on say a 14.5:1 deal, is the metering that much different?

The 3 circuit carb with the idle feed tube has always been an issue due to restriction in the main well. Doesn't matter what fuel. But with Q16 it is a different story.4-6 % more fuel. Sure you can remove the tubes and enlarge the main well. Not worth the time/aggravation. Just buy the blocks. Well exposed and you can see the restriction.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbt...dtuberestriction.jpg

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted Hide Post
Great topic. I'll be trying q16 this year as well.

The jetting baseline I have is a 7.5% increase over x14 with a 2.400 APD carb. The carb also has a larger crossfeed to support the increased fuel volume.

Posts: 183 | Location: IL | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Q16 specs..

https://vpracingfuels.com/wp-c...Sheets_100419A-1.pdf

There is another brand called ETS Racing fuels that contains as spec of 11% Oxygen compared to Vp of which is 9.41 oxygen. Fuel is branded
ETS P14.

A friend of mine wants to try it this season. He has 10 gallons.

The VP has a MON of 116. The advertised P14 has a MON of 101. I don't want to split hairs on this. We'll see what happens.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I switched the other way when we started running nitrous, but it was a 3 jet size difference for me. It’s not going to be such a huge difference you’ll be at risk of hurting something because of it. We were able to use our O2 sensors to tune it (reading plugs was a little tricky with the Q). Just make sure you only run the car in a well ventilated area. We got to the point of pulling the car outside anytime we ran it to avoid the severe headache the fumes would cause.

Posts: 133 | Location: ohio | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
Q is worth ~20 hp over non oxygenated fuel with a properly built carb for Q16. C45 was worth another 9hp over Q again, with the proper built custom carb. I decided against running C45 due to the low octane and fear of engine damage from a small tuning window with my engine being 16.5:1 at the time.

Q16 has a fairly large tuning window and it's a pretty consistent fuel.

As far as cost, its within $5-10 per 5 gallons of C14, C14+ and C15 from my supplier.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
On the 45 deal, i talked to 2 guys that were trying it.Same story the MON and RON. was not to their liking. Pull a bunch of timing out also. Went back to the Q. Tuning window, slim to none as one stated. I'm really starting to think now that you mentioned the C45. My friend with the ETS P14
just might be running next to the C45. Thin window
deal. I will have to talk to him.

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
The metering blocks are a big issue switching to Q16 on a single carb, with dual carbs not as much as you are flowing only a small amount more fuel total but with 2 carbs to do it. I usually figure .012-.016 larger to start with Q, jet from there. Holley Jets 4-5 numbers.

C45 is a different animal, it makes more power but you HAVE to make sure your engine never sees too close to peak torque under a full load. Converter stall needs to be well above peak torque to avoid detonation issues. Octane is insufficient otherwise, the engine generated the most heat at peak torque. Timing needs to be very conservative as well...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen similar results to Todd. Q16 with a single carb modified for Q16 with BLP wide body metering blocks was worth 18 HP over C14 on the same day.

Q16 seemed to show more than that on the track. Leaving off the foot brake at 1800 RPM the WAY too tight converter flashed to ~5000 RPM on C14 on a ho-hum pass. Changed everything over to Q16 on the same night. Converter flashed to 5400 RPM and stood the car on the bumper. Peak TQ was at 6100 RPM.

An extreme case, but Q16 does make power.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Well, finally had a chance to call Mark today, and I sure am glad I did!

Mark took the time to really explain the switch to me, and feels that I might get what I am looking for without sending my carbs to him.

Going to give it a try on my own, and if the numbers do not improve, my carbs are heading south.

DragRacerSBC, I sure hope that my convertor does NOT pick up 400rpm, as it already flashes right where I want it....6900.

Anyway, TD3550 thank you for pointing me in the right direction, and Mark, thank you for taking the time to help me out! Not worthy

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Mitch. Mark IS the man.. I have never seen an unhappy customer ever. He has this down to a science. There has been many that have followed him for years on his works. Even the 3 to 2 circuit conversions. Mark, Tuner and Yeti. A lifetime of knowledge. It's not really that hard of a job at all. Keep us updated. I wish they had another "Carb Shoot Out" That was priceless.
Sorry, forgot about Shrinker too.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have run Q16 since it came out. There is more power there for sure with the correct modifications for sure. But more importantly you will be more consistent with it. It will take a wider move in the air for you to need tp change a number for me that benefit was well worth the change, especially on the stop.

We also run C45 on the heads up car. It will makemore power but as mentioned has a very very small tuning window. Miss it on the fat side and you will be having a lot of expensive damage. We are well over 16-1, well over. IMO it is a fuel that needs to be in a very high RPM engine for one and in the hands of someone who understands the needs. We use another carb guy, Dale Cubic and the C45 has been a learning curvce for sure.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 984 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post