DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ati and Reid 2 pc case interchangeable bell?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ati and Reid 2 pc case interchangeable bell?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Have my overly heavy JW case and bell sold,if I can get new combo. Issue it seems is availability. Seems shortage of case's right now. Summit and Jegs site don't say anything about issue and waiting for one or other to verify when I can have one here.

Other issue is I have to run 2 pc so as to avoid adapter mid plate which is bs way of doing something IMO.
Question I have is. If I find ATI case and can only get a bell from Reid or vice a versa will they interchange. Ideally matching pieces is best,but so would be being born rich and that didn't workout either.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
I don't believe they are interchangeable. Which case/bell housing are you looking at. I can check my availability.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
No they are not

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Kind of what I was figuring. Thanks guys . On with the hunt.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Cazman
posted Hide Post
Definitely not interchangable. I have Reid 2 piece cases in stock as well as bellhousings. Also, I have a good used ATI case w/bearing for T400 output shaft and a hemi bellhousing.

Steve Casner

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Posts: 455 | Location: Sheridan, CA USA | Registered: August 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For education on my part, what is it that does not allow them to interchange? The pump bolt pattern and pump mount area would out of necessity be the same. The depth would be the same, so help me understand the difference.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
JW bells mounts on the "pump bolts", the others mount to the case itself, of course in different locations.
Frown

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I was told a JW bell would not bolt to reid or ati. I understand it not bolting to case as their bell does. JW bolt to front of pump. Like Larry I do not understand why it will not do same. Probably could see it if had both piece in front of me. Would like to know why,not bad enough to pay for the education.

Steve PM sent

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
I was told a JW bell would not bolt to reid or ati. I understand it not bolting to case as their bell does. JW bolt to front of pump. Like Larry I do not understand why it will not do same. Probably could see it if had both piece in front of me. Would like to know why,not bad enough to pay for the education.

Steve PM sent

with some effort and machining you could mount the JW bell to the reid/ati cases as you mentioned. But it does involve machining on the case so the bell will clear the rest of the case. And at the point you have a 2 piece case why not just get the appropriate bell housing with the right mounting points?

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 163 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
and still have non certified piece. Half of reason for updating is certifications and lot less weight is just extra layer of chocolate icing on cake. He11 probably only run one race where its issue and thats hot rod reunion in Bowling Green.

I have while before will have to have cert and maybe you guys will get supply back up or FTI will have their case out.