DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Interesting Vacuum Pump issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Vacuum Pump issue
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
Relatively new Moroso pump, not quite 40 passes on it.

Vacuum at idle will sit at zip - 0. Even with engine warmed up, idle vacuum is at most a 1 on the gauge. I can rack the throttle and get a vacuum reading, 8-9 but let it drop back to idle - zip. Disconnect the connection on the VC and connect a small shop type vacuum to the AN connector and it sits there rock solid at 4 pounds. I have not heard or seen anything that indicates a leak. I have cleaned the pump several times with brake cleaner, then followed that with a couple of shots of WD40. Get about 4 pounds vacuum for 2-3 runs, then back to the same routine. Oh and changing the bleed in/out doesn't have much impact on it. My son has one of these with the same Moroso catch tank on it and we are constantly having to change the oil soaked sock on the filter. I am still using the same sock with hardly any noticeable oil in it. I also am still seeing a lot of oil milking which was one reason for putting the pump on it.

Ideas?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
Relatively new Moroso pump, not quite 40 passes on it.

Vacuum at idle will sit at zip - 0. Even with engine warmed up, idle vacuum is at most a 1 on the gauge. I can rack the throttle and get a vacuum reading, 8-9 but let it drop back to idle - zip. Disconnect the connection on the VC and connect a small shop type vacuum to the AN connector and it sits there rock solid at 4 pounds. I have not heard or seen anything that indicates a leak. I have cleaned the pump several times with brake cleaner, then followed that with a couple of shots of WD40. Get about 4 pounds vacuum for 2-3 runs, then back to the same routine. Oh and changing the bleed in/out doesn't have much impact on it. My son has one of these with the same Moroso catch tank on it and we are constantly having to change the oil soaked sock on the filter. I am still using the same sock with hardly any noticeable oil in it. I also am still seeing a lot of oil milking which was one reason for putting the pump on it.

Ideas?

Aftermarket sbc, bbc? what is it? Blind head bolt block? Losing water? stock block? bbc or sbc?

Engine sealed up good?

One piece Fel-pro pan gasket?

Radiator cap good? run hot?

Need more info

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Aftermarket sbc, YES Losing water? NO

Engine sealed up good? YES

One piece Fel-pro pan gasket? YES

Radiator cap good? YES run hot? NO

Need more info
LIKE WHAT?

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Is your pump the same as your son's? Maybe swap them and see if the issue follows your pump?
Or it goes away when you use your kids pump....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sucked the intake gasket.

Time for new intake gaskets.

What type of methanol lube are you using?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
smh...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
smh...

If all you have is a hammer in the tool box, everything looks like a nail.

He put the pump on it because it was trashing the oil, read the very last sentence.

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
No- I should rephrase that - the pump was going on for the normal performance benefits but we also knew that it would control the milking issue. The entire engine has less than 40 laps on it.

I have run lube and no lube - didn't see any change in the pump.

Probably could swap pumps but it'll be an off season thing if we do.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The milking oil is causing the vanes to stick closed at low rpm, that's why you have vac once you cean the pump out. So fine why your milking the oil! Carb to rich, not getting the oil hot enough, floats too high etc.

Also for alky, I'd speed the pump up to help vac at idle too 80% of engine rpm. This will also help.

But you still need to fix the milking issue, alky tuned right won't milk the oil.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If the intake gasket gets fuel / lube soaked, it can break at the bottom and slide off the head.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the intake gasket gets fuel / lube soaked, it can break at the bottom and slide off the head.

If it's ripped on the bottom of a port it will suck oil and smoke... Not to mention idle higher.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

If it's ripped on the bottom of a port it will suck oil and smoke... Not to mention idle higher.

And? Shouldn't you be discussing this with the OP? I'm not there and I doubt it was use oil or smoke or Idle higher for that matter. Where would it see pressure to idle higher?

I'm not there, this is something for the OP to look at.

If I could crawl through the internet line here, I'd take a look at it for him.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
smh...

If all you have is a hammer in the tool box, everything looks like a nail.

He put the pump on it because it was trashing the oil, read the very last sentence.

Shouldn't you be discussing this with the OP?

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The milking oil is causing the vanes to stick closed at low rpm, that's why you have vac once you cean the pump out. So fine why your milking the oil! Carb to rich, not getting the oil hot enough, floats too high etc.

Also for alky, I'd speed the pump up to help vac at idle too 80% of engine rpm. This will also help.

But you still need to fix the milking issue, alky tuned right won't milk the oil.

I'll take another look at the carb then. Thought I was close though but maybe not. Idle rpm hasn't changed so I don't think there is any kind of intake gasket issue. Might try a quick carb swap and see what happens.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And? Shouldn't you be discussing this with the OP? I'm not there and I doubt it was use oil or smoke or Idle higher for that matter. Where would it see pressure to idle higher?

Mike

I'd say that there is a fair amount of folks on here that would love to see you crawl into the internet line and disappear. Maybe the guy who hit the orange foam block on the track is hiding in there too, you two can have a Good Conversation!

Laughing very hard

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

I'd say that there is a fair amount of folks on here that would love to see you crawl into the internet line and disappear. Maybe the guy who hit the orange foam block on the track is hiding in there too, you two can have a Good Conversation!

The guy that hit the foam block is hiding in your head with the guy who thinks the idle would be higher, both are delusional, evidenced by the fact neither can supply any coherent rational explanations to substantiate either claim as anything other than delusion.

The hardest thing you'll ever detect quickly is a methanol fuel / lube soaked torn at the bottom intake gasket, a higher idle won't be what brings you to fix the inconsistency on the timeslip and trashed oil.

I'd guess you're on gasoline and inexperienced with methanol, by your diagnosis.

The foam block in your head is sitting on the finish line unmoved behind the cars. Bradenton officials rigged a professional drag race by putting the loser wagon, their house car back in the race 45 minutes after he loaded up originally declared the loser.

It's self evident, the rest is only your delusion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Didn't think of that

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with house cars as long as officials don't tilt the table in the favor of the cars they put in the race, using fantasy stories to put them back in the race 45 minutes after they load up, declared loser originally.

It's self evident this race was rigged by officials, to put their house car in the final round.

Their admission of guilt is Bradenton officials skipping out on a clarification, as any drag strip nationwide gladly offers standard issue.

https://youtu.be/vsQzw_Ax8Cw

DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Nearly every thread that I read on this forum goes to **** in the exact same way....

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
Nearly every thread that I read on this forum goes to **** in the exact same way....

Drama queens can't face the fact when officials skip out on a clarification, it's the equivalent of a racer peeling out the gate when caught cheating, before an inspection.

Officials cheating gives the drama queens an uncomfortable feeling, they can't let go.

Notice I never bring it up.

All I do is provide self evident facts they can't rationally refute.

It's self evident why Bradenton officials skipped out on a clarification. They rigged a professional drag race with money on the line.

That's felony fraud. They looted a racers effort.

It's no different than the looters you see on TV breaking glass and looting.