DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Onan 7500 quiet diesel generator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Onan 7500 quiet diesel generator
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted
We have a Onan 7500 quiet diesel generator model: HDKAJ; Spec: H that quit running in the middle of the night a couple weeks ago when we were at the track. When we checked the error code it gave us code 17, which isn’t in the manual. I talked to Onan/Cummins and they said code 17 doesn’t exist on spec H generators but on the older models, code 17 is a bad fuel pump fault.

- the generator will not start or even try to start from the outside or inside switch.
- I can’t hear the fuel pump priming when I hold the switch in the stop position to prime it either.
- generator has coolant and a fresh oil change
- bought a new fuel pump and filter to try that since both parts are inexpensive.

If anyone has any experience with an issue like this or knows what else could be causing this issue, I greatly appreciate any and all information.

Thank you!

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Verify that the battery connections are ok and the voltage there is good.

There are 3 ATK mini fuses under the cover where you access the coolant fill hose/cap.

Check those fuses

Code 17 does indicate a fuel pump issue...BUT if your machine does not even crank that's not a good sign

Power to the controls comes from one of those 3 fuses......

If battery voltage is good, fuses are good and you have no activity at any switch you have a potentially big problem there

At the very least it has to be opened up and inspected inside if nothing is found with battery/fuses issues....

7.5's are Inverter/Generators. The inverter section also houses the controls and it is one unit....NOT serviceable or repairable.

What year is it and how many hours on it ?

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
2002/1900 hours

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Age is more of a potential problem than hours...

Do the basic checks I described. .....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post