DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Racepak pressure sensors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racepak pressure sensors
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Is there a less costly place I can get replacement pressure sensors? I'm certain these sensors are not actually made by racepak, almost $180 each sensor seems a little high

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A while back someone posted a link to a company that sold racepak compatible sensors. I can't for the life of me remember the name and I didn't bookmark it either maybe it will get posted again.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 462 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Can't it just utilize a generic sensor? Such as one off a regular street car? If so, just figure out what you need and get it from a parts store.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think Greg Kelly at Motorsports Innovations has some listed.
Blake

Posts: 400 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: April 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mounting them on a stainless hose sure makes them live longer than they do mounted on the engine.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Mounting them on a stainless hose sure makes them live longer than they do mounted on the engine.

Maybe just me, but a $300 Racepack sensor having to be remote mount is ridiculous. Not to mention clutters up the engine bay if you are monitoring very many channels with hoses running everywhere. I also don't want extra fittings and hose connections to leak and therefore be another maintenance item.

That is the main reason that I chose to go another direction for datalogging and digital display needs. I can afford to keep a drawer full of $50 OEM spare sensors vs. RacePack. The Racepak digital dashes also look like a 1980's alarm clock.

That being said I have 2 pickups that have a combined ~600,000 miles on them. Both have A LOT of miles offroad on oil and gas lease roads. I have replaced 2 OEM sensors on them. I can't see why $300 "racing" sensors should fail like they do unless remote mounted.

Nothing worse than something that is overpriced AND doesn't live in it's intended environment.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the Racepak pressure sensors look like but I'm assuming they're a standard pressure transducer.

Transducer sensor for off a 5V reference signal. They output 0.5 - 4.5v. If 5V is going in and 3V is being returned, that's all the sensor knows. It has no idea what the pressure is.

Many of these standard sensors are calibrated to 100 PSI. So when 3V is went back from the sensor, it may be 60 PSI. If the sensor is calibrated for 1000 PSI then that same 3V may be 600 PSI.

Same goes for MAP sensors. You can't simply change out a 2 BAR sensor for a 5 BAR sensor without telling the ECM what the return signal voltage is supposed to be.

Racepak sensor may be expensive but even OEM pressure transducer are not cheap.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1350 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEMO963:
I use these (0-5 v) of Amazon, work with my quick data no problems...and less than $20...agree charging $300 is criminal..no way they have even 1/3 of that tied up in producing them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Those also come with the pigtail, I just wired an adapter from quick data sensor. Four seasons with one failure (had 100 psi sensor and put 200 psi to it)

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Can't it just utilize a generic sensor? Such as one off a regular street car? If so, just figure out what you need and get it from a parts store.

Yes! You just need to know the parameters of the transducer you have, such as .5v = 0 psi and 4.5v = 15 psi. Once you know this info you can input this info in your racepak config file and your good to go.

I did this with a pressure transducer, works great.

Also make sure your just talking about just the transducer from RP and not the Module too!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have a RPM performance logger. The pressure transducers oil, trans and fuel are direct mounted. I bet my OP sensor is 7 years old and screwed directly to the block and has not failed

Posts: 2407 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I offer the RP style for $150:

http://motorsportsinnovations....iles/WB_Pressure.htm

Holley has an assortment of sensors $125-$130

jegs

I have seen reliability all over the map. Never could conclude any brand better than others. You can't go wrong remote mounting them. It frequently saves from damaging the sensor during engine removal or other maintenance.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, lots of good info.

Just fyi, this isnt replacing sensors that went bad, I bought a system from someone that went to Holley EFI and they refused the sensors for pressures with the EFI, so I didnt get those 3 sensors.

My current car has racepak sensors that are now 15 years old and work perfectly.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm going to admit: With my efi system, I have used some generic ebay sensors with great luck. As long as they give the hysteresis you can calibrate for them. They always seem to change listings on ebay. But they are a big money saver. Certainly in my application I would not want inaccurate data. But I have not seen any cases of that yet.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 56 | Location: Rockford, IL | Registered: July 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post