Find
Notify
Tools

Latch & Link ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Latch & Link ?

Need to replace my safety belts and always had Cam-Lock in my 6.x door car. I am looking at Latch & Link.

Any advice on switching or not switching to this buckle method?

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put the latch and link in my door car,takes 2-3 seconds longer to latch,lol.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with them but after using cam locks I'll never get latch and link again....just preference...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I had been using Stroud Camlocks and they were pretty good.

Now I am using the Pro1 camlock and they are the best in my opinion.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
X2, bought Pro 1 camlock belts last year, love them, much preferred over the latch style.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I always use latch & link in my door car, and camlock in my dragster.

Having plenty of room to move and no arm restraints or anything, I go the cheap route.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
For me it depended on how much room in your car.
In my dragster I go with the cam lock.
In my door car the latch and link will work.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Good advice about door cars with plenty of room which I have.

Jegs has a $10 /$20 /$30 Off sale now and I needed some other parts. Ordered Latch + Link tonight.

Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Had latch and link for years, switched to camlock and I wouldn't go back. I think my Racerdirect camlocks were $100 and I can sell them when they go out of date for $50.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
you wont be disappointed with anything from pro1

nothing wrong with latch and link but prefer cam lock

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Agreed^^^^^^^^

Posts: 1753 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
If your running a head and neck restraint, sometimes the cam locks are a lot easier to put on. Worth the extra IMO

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A little story about cam locks. Now keep in mind that what I'm describing happened with the old aircraft style camlock. A friend (David Gass) was racing his Monza at Indy in S/G. He flipped the car but due to the design of the camlock he was unable to unlatch himself (he was hanging upside down) in the car.

His body weight kept him from pushing the latch in so it would release. Remember the old camlocks you had to rotate it first and then push the latch to release it. He got the latch rotated but was unable to push that latch in with all that body weight hanging on the belts.

Has anyone tried putting a bunch of force against their camlock and then rotated it to see if you can unlatch it? Maybe these new designs will work but the old one wouldn't.

He would never run anything but the latch and link after that. I still run a camlock but I have often wondered how easy they are to unbuckle after a crash.

Now, some guys would latch the belts and then rotate it so a

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5308 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
On another note, maybe this is why no one uses the old aircraft camlock. I remember Marvin Schwartz was killed at Tucson back in 1980 and a guy at the end of the track said when he wrecked he flew out of the car.

Supposedly he had already rotated the latch before the run and the steering wheel impacted the latch hard enough to release it and he was thrown from the car.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5308 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
There's plenty of odd things that happen with both designs. Everything from someone catching the latch and flipping it open to people rubbing against the camlock knob and allowing the belts to release. Good point about trying to turn the knob with pressure on it, will have to try it.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post