DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ron’s Injection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ron’s Injection
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a guy I’m helping out and want to add a high speed bypass to his set up.
If anyone wants to give me a hand I’ll email them the present tune & changes we’ve made and go from there. Thanks

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Have you spoke with James Monroe or Scott Offerman 358T on here?

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No not yet.

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Why do you want to add one?

If you don't have O2 & fuel pressure logged then it's a crap shoot/trail and error. If you got O2 and fuel pressure logged then it's easy to figure out both when and how much to take away.

BTW, your typical BBC combo, if the system was sized correctly don't need a hi speed bypass deal.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
easier of you can add a air or electric valve. With air you will need electric over air solenoid to control it. You can set it off timer or rpm.

With high speed bypass every change you make in system will effect the point you have that pressure at. If you go little bigger on main it will have less pressure. If you change one or two nozzles it will effect it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I can estimate the starting points fairly close. After that it is like Top said unless you have a data recorder. Wudeopen is also correct in that changes elsewhere interact with a poppet or diaphram style hi-speed so it is important to understand what does what.

Check your pm's

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think most all of the opinions above are right. If your pump is on the small side you will not need it even on 1/4 mile tracks. Very few will need it at all on 1/8 mile tracks. If you do go with a high speed I would go with small pill and only pull a little off the top. Tune everything for best 60 foot and ET and then see if you can pick up a few MPH on top with high speed.

My suggestion read all you can about mechanical injection and then call SCOTT to get a baseline. Most do not need a high speed and often it will just complicate things.

Data logger is a HUGE help to get tune up right as is DYNO time. My Dyno Dude is really good with mechanical injection and cat get it right quickly. One of best investments you can do is dyno.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Presently
.031 nozzles .096 pill 100psi 01/2 pump 2800da.
Cars consistent,egts are 1160.
Plugs are glassy looking with very little heat on the top threads.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
Presently

This is a 434sbc in an altered I believe.
Decent air it runs 8.0’s at 165.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
quote:
Presently

What 01/2 pump? Gear pump? That tune sounds a little lean to me? How much temp gain?

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
IMO - You should tune by ET & temperature gain on injected alcohol as its very hard to read plugs. Real easy to go in the wrong direction...

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
agree on et and mph.O disagree about reading plugs. Some plugs I have nevr been able to read.NGK's have always read same as egt's and bearings.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
.033 nozzles will have it popping out the tubes in the lights.
.031 nozzles increased mph by 5 mph.
Pressure gauge is in the feed line of the bvalve.
Exhaust ports are carbon black.
Gains 10 degrees water temp.
Scott O is gathering info from me via email.
Car runs in da 2500 to 7000ft.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B.C.Malibu,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Presently

On my car when I ran EGT the car was too fat and would not run at 1050-1100 in the 1/8 mile. Get it up to 1350 to 1400 and the car would run. I ended up getting rid of the EGT and went to O2 on all 8 cylinders. Way better.
I think it may need to be leaned out some. Forget about EGT or even O2 until after you get right tune up and best ET and then use those to keep it there.
When you get best performance then look at EGT and O2 and you may be surprised at how much you were leaving on the table.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Curly I agree.
I’m sure if it had -10 plugs they’d color a bit.
Cars repeating just trying to sneak him down into a safer consistent tune without him needing a different pump.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
.033 nozzles .090 bypass = 159mph & popping out the headers at the big end.
Not much water temp gain

.031 nozzles .096 bypass = 165. No popping out the pipes.
10 degrees gain from the hit to the big end.

02 sensor will not like a zommie header.

Presently it runs 132@ 1/8 and 165 1/4.
At 1800lbs how much power do you think it’s making 650hp.
Does it really need an 01/2 pump?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B.C.Malibu,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
o2 in a zoomie isn't the end of the world. You just measure one cylinder.
What happened to the incrementals after the change? The short times coming around? It wouldn't completely surprise me to see a half pump work better with a high speed bypass. I used an electronic one in the past. It won't pick the car up a ton, but maybe you will see a mph or so. I generally use it as icing on the cake so to speak.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6356 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
A simple solenoid added to system and half a dozen or maybe less will tell you if you are heading in right direction or pissing on wrong tree.
Kohler sale one for about $125 that use very little power to operate. Install it with smaller jet maybe .040 0r .050. Connect it to a timer on you delay or grid if you have. Have it open slightly after you hit high gear. If mph increases repeat with one stup up on jet. If mph decreases after cpl back up to highest mph jet. You can then mess with time you open it.

With electric solenoid you can open and close as many times as you have timers for. Down side if you are a tinkerer you need good records to keep you from screwing yourself. That is probably cheapest way you can learn that rule. It cost me a lot more to learn.He11 I need a secretary taking short hand to keep up with my ideas and tinkering.

If car does not respond then you wasted about 150 bucks plus runs. I be picture its tiny dot. That is just my opinion and the approach I would take.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ran 130/132 depending on altitude with .033 in the 1/8.
From the 1/8 on it wouldn’t accelerate as well as the .031 .096 tune 165mph so far.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Going to larger nozzles and slowing tell you it didn't like more fuel. You also lowered system pressure. Go to FIE site and check out tune up calculator. You will see pressure changes with nozzle change. You can swap jets and see flow change and pressures. Just a suggestion to give idea of what happens when.

You could always try a ,030 nozzle setup if you have then its free if not its about 60 bucks. Like I said go try the site its free and fun. Its not perfect but so far its dang close to what I have seen system change on my cheap home made flow bench if you want to call it that. Most are not stupid enough to spend money to build something like that for the he11 of it and the fun of what if.