DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tow vehicle tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tow vehicle tires
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I did have a customer that switched from the O.E. installed Michelin tires to the Transforce and didn't like them. SRW Chevy 2500HD pulling an enclosed, he said they felt squishy and swayed too much.
I think he was just over driving on new tall treads.

Traded him back and put Michelins on for him, he's happy.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
I can tell you one thing , I put a set of Mastercraft tires (same ratings as the TransForce tires) on my dually when the Transforce wore out , First trip was to ST Louis .. they got to swaying BAD SEVERAL times , I had to brake and get over to the shoulder on I-70 every time right before it got completely out of control ..that 4 hour trip took almost 6 .... SERIOUSLY scary ....I think the wife was trebling by the time we got home .. I went right back and put the Firestones back on ... never do that again !! I've never had Michelins , might try them someday ...even if they are made in 3rd world countries ..

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
To me 5 - 6 yr most since new tire replacement is a wise choice that I follow with my cars, truck and trailer. I only run truck tires to 4/32 and the trailer tires to 2/32 at worst if before 5 yr old. The 5 yr old never used trailer spare gets replaced too.

I bought a new 1/2 ton truck in late 2021 and it came with a temporary rated spare tire on steel rim. I replaced it with the same rated tire as on the truck. In my 11 yr old truck that I trade, I replaced the never used spare tire at 6 yrs.

Early tire replacements are cheap compared to tire problems on the road especially when towing long distance.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I've had Michelins, Goodyears and Coopers on my alumiduty. My wife will tell you hands down the best ride with the Coopers. She wouldn't even ride with me when the Goodyears were on because it was so rough. The Coopers are also the best tread for all occasions.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I decided to go with the Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse HT, They had the best overall reviews in the size I needed between GY, Michelin and Firestone. I ordered them from my local Twin brothers tire shop, paid a few bucks more but just wanted to support the locals.
This is the tire from Tire Rack
https://www.tirerack.com/tires...s&vehicleSearch=true

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I love my Tansforce tires on my older 2011 F450. My current F450 has a 19.5" Continental tire on it. Out here in the desert 3-4 years is a long time for anything parked outside and driven alot. It is my daily and I'll need to replace them soon. Poking around I am not impressed with the prices anymore for sure.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 986 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve: I decided to go with the Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse HT

Made in USA, NICE !! USA

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I don't see Hankooks mentioned but several around here recommended them including my tire guy for my diesel pusher motor home which I use a lot for towing, seem ok. My f350 dually has Firestones on it and they seem ok also. I ran Michleins on everything for many years and they were fine also.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve: I decided to go with the Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse HT

Made in USA, NICE !! USA

When given the choice I will always buy made in the USA. Also supported my local independent tire shop instead of buying them online.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Good choice and me too USA

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I had 19.5" Michelins on my old motorhome. I was on my way to Florida and the sidewalls opened up like a zipper. I replaced all 4 somewhere in VA. Never again.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I will use nothing but Michelin on my motor home and installed 6 new tires last April.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a over the road trucker and loved his hankooks on the big rig, I ran a set on a 3/4 ton suburban I used to tow with, never had issue put around 60000 miles on them. Current truck has Michelins that just don't seem to want to ware out. Will need to replace soon with the same tire.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 236 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post