DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tow vehicle tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tow vehicle tires
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
What everyone running these days on their 1 ton Dually pick ups?
Been running Firestone Transforce HT and have been pretty happy but I think they have changed the tire some, its now a HT2 and online reviews are not that great. Mine are 5 years old and weather cracked, plan to replace all 6.
235/85/R16 if it matters

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
The Transforce is about as good as it gets, *at that price point*, still mostly American made.

I run the Mastercraft line from Cooper on everything we own, great tire. MADE IN USA , now owned by Goodyear but I've seen no changes in the product line.
Courser HXT, or Stratus HT
HXT

Stratus HT

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
When I put new tires on my truck I'm doing a 19.5" conversion....For the amount I drive it now, I'll never have to replace them again...and they are much heavier duty, safer, and last about 3-5 times as long

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
mmichelin steve ,i like the firestone on my trailer but not my pickup.the side walls bulge too much to suite me.i do have two on the front and life of tire seems ok but they bulge

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the tires that came on it were like 70000 miles

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
we've put double coin on quite a few things in recent years, not sure if they have anything in the 16" size range.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mine is not a duality but is 1 ton and the only tire I’ve run on this truck is the OEM tire it came with, Goodyear’s Wrangler SRA. Every set has gone 65-70k before I replaced them which is before the tread is worn down to the bar. The only other tire I would run is Michelin. Cooper tires are not s great tire, they are a budget tire and not even close to an equal of Goodyear no mind Michelin.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
What everyone running these days on their 1 ton Dually pick ups?
Been running Firestone Transforce HT and have been pretty happy but I think they have changed the tire some, its now a HT2 and online reviews are not that great. Mine are 5 years old and weather cracked, plan to replace all 6.
235/85/R16 if it matters

Our 2023 High Country Chevy 3500 Dually came with Michelins & as it stands; when they need replacement, I'll probably stick with them.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a quick internet search as to Mastercraft tires owned by Cooper, country of origin reveals that despite the claim of being made in the USA they have tire manufacturing facilities in

Kunshan, China, Qingdao City, China in addition to El Salto, Mexico, Krusevac, Serbia and Melksham, UK

Me says they are made in China!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
a quick internet search as to Mastercraft tires owned by Cooper, country of origin reveals that despite the claim of being made in the USA they have tire manufacturing facilities in

Kunshan, China, Qingdao City, China in addition to El Salto, Mexico, Krusevac, Serbia and Melksham, UK

Which is owned by Goodyear

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I hates rabbits,I mean China
USA

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Firestone trans force is the best you can get. If you maintain 80 PSI, they will last. I`ve gotten 80-85K out of my tires.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Firestone TransForce on my 2500 pickup & triple-axle trailer, Michelin on everything else. Not a fan of Goodyear... overpriced & overrated in my opinion.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
Transforce here as well , on 2nd set now ...got over 70K miles on the first set...

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
Michelins are great tires for sure , but few of them are made in the USA, they have plants in ALOT of third world countries as well,,, hard to find anything made solely in the uSA anymore ..and its ashamed ..

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The only thing my truck is used for is to tow the race car trailer, the current set of Transforces has 80% thread on them, but are 5 years old and weather cracked because the truck sits outside in the Texas weather. Plan is to make a 3000 mile round trip tow next month and need piece of mind that I wont have any tire issues along the way.
Last time I had a blow out on the rear it took off the bedside fender and cost allot more than the price of a set of tires.
I am liking the reviews on the Goodyear Workhorse HT-LT more than the current reviews on the Transforce, like I said in my original post, I believe Firestone has changed something when they went to the current HT-2 tire

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My GMC 3/4 ton truck came with Goodyear Wranglers. They made it to about 35,000 miles. No real trouble with them; they just wore out. I put on Firestone Transforce and made it to 65,000 miles. I now have one of the new Transforce tires to replace one when I ran over a piece of metal on the road. The new one seems to be lasting the same as the other three tires. Time will tell.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I change tires too often, with NO regrets. I often over pay it seems as well. I have never been disappointed in the Michelin. Ran the transformed too, they were good tires years back. Always did prefer the Michelins.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
I have to admit, I change tires too often, with NO regrets. I often over pay it seems as well. I have never been disappointed in the Michelin. Ran the transformed too, they were good tires years back. Always did prefer the Michelins.

It's the same concept with slicks, the more you buy the better you're racing.

Back when we used to race every Friday night, people who don't race would to say to me, "you probably buy lots of slicks". I'd say "I hope too"

It would go right over their head.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Wrong

You would be wrong again.
I have NEVER seen a Mastercraft line tire that was not made in USA, YET.

There are some lower line Coopers, just as there are Michelin / Goodyear / Bridgestone / Yokohama tires that are made who knows where?

5 top tier Commercial tire manufacturers all use the same production facility in South Carolina.

Almost everything is private label, built to engineering specs.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post