Find
Notify
Tools

Tips !
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of LARAY
posted Hide Post
If you have a camshaft you are gonna store away.
Get an old sock and soak it down with wd-40 or oil and slide your camshaft in it and it will never try to rust up or collect water from the cold and hot weather changes in the winter.

Posts: 579 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: January 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
When doing converter swaps, fixing leaky rear main seals, etc., replace a couple of the bolts that secure the bellhousing to the block with the longest you can find. Then you can slide the tranny straight back, do your work, then slide it back into place without having to fight it.

Wrap a rubber band around the u-joints in wobble sockets. It keeps them from flopping around but you don't loose the wobble.

NEVER GIVE FASHION ADVICE TO YOUR WOMAN!!!
The correct answer to "does this make me look fat" is no answer at all. Leave the room and pretend you didn't hear. She'll crucify you with any answer - you're either insensitive or patronizing.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 485 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<pinkstuff>
posted
NEVER use thread tape on the cooler lines going into a aluminum case e.g an oe glide case.always use a liquid sealant such as 3bond.tape can actually act as a 'wedge' and crack the housing around the threaded h oles.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Eddie "no threat" Weaver
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any tips that haven't already been covered, but I would like to say thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Good stuff!

Plum Wild Grape Ape

2003 Bristol Dragway Sportsman Champion

Posts: 131 | Location: Bristol, VA | Registered: May 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Smink
posted Hide Post
Contingency Decals for one national event?

They are easily removed if you stick them to the inside of your sweat shirt first.

"Hard to fool them flies, though......"

Posts: 1277 | Location: 3+ hours from any track | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Smink
posted Hide Post
Use ACETONE on gasket surfaces.....

Posts: 1277 | Location: 3+ hours from any track | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Smink
posted Hide Post
Stay home on AMATEUR NIGHT also known as T&T Big Grin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of RICKp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Muretic acid makes aluminum intakes look like new..(don't leave on for extended time)
Dave

Where can someone get some of this?
Thanks

Posts: 4166 | Location: Fremont, OH | Registered: March 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Bring buyback money-You never know I might need it Big Grin

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Smink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RICKp:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Muretic acid makes aluminum intakes look like new..(don't leave on for extended time)
Dave

Where can someone get some of this?
Thanks

Lumber / masonry supply house

DRR S/Pro
Picture of RICKp
posted Hide Post
Found some of that Muretic acid at Lowes/It's only $8.00 a gallon for those wondering.
Question is do you put this stuff on in Uncut virgin form straight out of the jug or mix it with a percentage of water?
Spray on hose off Immediately?

Posts: 4166 | Location: Fremont, OH | Registered: March 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Rick we use that stuff at work, we heat it up rub it on and it disappears as its rubbed on, of course this is very hot heat up 250-300 degrees.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of rooster_439
posted Hide Post
thanks Rick this is a cool section never looked at it till today thanks guys Wink

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr.Seuss

Posts: 4191 | Location: twilight zone | Registered: February 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of rooster_439
posted Hide Post
if your pulling a trailer like me i carry a wooden block cut on a angle so if i have a flat i just pull/back up on it and dont need a jack Wink works GOOD tip loosen lugs first Smile

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr.Seuss

Posts: 4191 | Location: twilight zone | Registered: February 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Muriatic acid is the same as hydrochloric acid, as sold, it's about 8%.. It can also be found at most any pool supply, that's what's used to lower pH in pools. It's also great for removing rust without damaging the underlying iron. Be careful using it with aluminum, it'll etch it bad if you leave it on too long.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 485 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of blasttime
posted Hide Post
Try CLR cleaner from hardware store not so harsh Works great on annodized water pumps An fittings @intakes. Great kettle cleaner. Smile

Posts: 16 | Location: canada | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RICKp:
Found some of that Muretic acid at Lowes/It's only $8.00 a gallon for those wondering.
Question is do you put this stuff on in Uncut virgin form straight out of the jug or mix it with a percentage of water?
Spray on hose off Immediately?

Rick,
Spray it on and wait a few minutes then hose it off. If it's left on to long it will turn the aluminum black. Eyes

Then it's to the blasing cabinet..lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Here's another one..

I have a hard time cutting a piece of tubing off straight with a hacksaw.
I will take a hose clamp and put it on where I want to cut, then use it for a guide. I get a straight cut every time..

Also works if you just want to mark tubing for whatever reason.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
If you work on your own GM transmissions, (TH350, TH400 & Glide) a cheap but good pump puller can be made from some hardware store pieces. What you want is a 1/2" turnbuckle with two ends that have eyes, (2) 8" bolts of the proper thread and (2) washers. You also need a claw hammer.

Assemble the turnbuckle so that the eyes line up with the threaded holes in the pump, then screw in the bolts with the washers. Turn the bolts in about 1/2-3/4 inch. Holding the case with one hand, use the claw portion of the hammer to jerk at the center of the turnbuckle. Normally 4-6 times will have the pump out.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Smink
posted Hide Post
Three must use tools........

Mechanic's Stethoscope

SPARK PLUG LIGHT & MAGNIFIER

OIL FILTER CUTTER