Find
Notify
Tools

Tips !
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of blasttime
posted Hide Post
When things screw up what was the last thing I touched.

Posts: 16 | Location: canada | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
Another one is if you need two or more applications up on your desktop at the same time, start the first one, minimize it, start the next one, minimize it, then place the pointer on it, hold the ctrl key and right click. Choose either tile vertically or horizontally.

That's way cool thanks. On my PC after I minimized them I had to Cntl and left click on the ones I wanted to tile to select them, then it exposed the right click option.

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Make your own penetrating lube, mix acetone and atf.
Restore rubber parts that have hardened, Boil in water and oil of wintergreen for 10 minutes or soak in acetone and oil of wintergreen for a short time, will restore flexibility to rubber parts that are not easily replaced.
Use alumium foil to polish rusty chrome. Heavy duty lasts longer.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Here a tip for all track owners and operators considering points and buy back for regular bracket racing events

I'll find a way to repost the poll results. Bottom line is 2:1 in favor of no buy backs for local bracket races!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: adv ET 266,

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Smink
posted Hide Post
For torque wrench calibration and maintenance;
......... try Ben Spurlock at Angle Repair and Calibration in Beckley, West Virginia (304-253-5720, www.anglerepair.com)

If you use a torque wrench three to four times a month, you should have it checked at least once a year. Angle Repair charges $25 to calibrate any 1/2-inch drive or smaller torque wrench, 45 bucks for 3/4-inch jobs. Shipping is extra, and the turnaround time is usually a couple of days.

"Hard to fool them flies, though......"

Posts: 1277 | Location: 3+ hours from any track | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
When installing a trans/converter and after you have the converter correctly seated take a coat hanger, untwist it and use it to hold the converter in place. You can normally find something to wrap the ends around on and keep it down out of the way of mounting the trans to the engine. On the TH350, wrapping one end around the shifter linkage and the other around one of the pressure taps works well.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
If your wife or girlfriend does a lot of sewing, one of those magnetic tool trays is a nice gift. Helps keep bobbins, needles, etc in one spot for them.

My wife really likes the one I got her last year. Just saying guys, it really is the little things that matter to them sometimes.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
As car people, you probably take a little extra care of your ride(s). Keeping them washed, waxed, etc but a problem I have at home is that the well water has a high level of acid and even with a neutralizer in the system, you still get a lot of spotting if you don't towel off the windows and painted surfaces. I came up with two answers to my problem using one of the small water filters that you can get from the home improvement store and a spray bottle of filtered water treated with a few drops of dishwasher water treatment. The filter, a couple of fittings and a short length of hose allows me to filter all of the water that I use to wash the vehicles. Then I take the spray bottle and fritz the windows. The water treatment allows the surface tension in the water to release, creating fewer spots.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
If your digital camera takes AA batteries, don't toss 'em when they're done in the camera. They will still power tv/stereo/vcr/dvd remote controls.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Finial found an easy way to measure roll out on a slick off the car. Set the pressure to what you want. Find a flat area of concrete to roll it on and put a small stripe maybe 1/4" wide and 1" long of liquid Teflon tape or pipe dope in the middle of the slick. Roll is straight and over the make twice so you have two marks on the floor. Measure the distance between and sc***am!

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Trophy
Picture of Racin Jason 1221
posted Hide Post
Dont throw away broken tape measures. Open the case , take out the tape and bend it backwards right on a multiple of ten and use around shop for fabricaaating. u can make many lengths good for the fab shop.... normally can always find one too.

Posts: 2 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you need an emergency press remember the tounge jack on your or your neighbors trailer. I flattened a piece of metal with two pieces of wood covering the aluminum, hooked the truck back up to the hitch, slid in the wood and aluminum and jacked until the metal did what I wanted it to. It could work for anything you can fixture up. Just be careful!

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you need to make something like a converter cooler nozzle from PVC pipe, you can heat the pipe over a 500W halogen light and then bend it to shape. Just keep turning it so it doesn't burn and wear gloves. When you get it in the shape you want cool it off with compressed air of a wet rag.

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
When changing or removing a convertor put a piece of duct-tape on the box-end side of the wrench which is on the Nut side of the nut and bolt. Only cover half of the wrench obviously. this will keep the nut on and you won't lose it as easily, also when installing this works to help thread the nut and bolt.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of CW1228
posted Hide Post
When installing a crank gear (bottom timing chain gear). Instead of beating it on. Boil the gear in water untill it gets really hot. Then run out to the garage and hurry up and put it on.

P.S. Don't pick it up with your hands unless you got some good gloves, i use pliers or vice grips.

C.W.

Posts: 8 | Location: Sebring FL | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CW1228
posted Hide Post
Finding out how old your trailer tires are. On the tire after the DOT there is a letter and numbers. letter is month, a for jan, b for feb, c for mar, and so on.... then week of the year. and then last # of that year. For example mine is DOT-J512. Which means= november, 51st week, 2002. they started this in the late 90's by the way. Craig

Posts: 8 | Location: Sebring FL | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of thehueypilot
posted Hide Post
Here is a tip for 5-gallon utility fuel jugs that have a leaking cap to hose connection. I replaced the original vinyl fitting with some AN fittings I had left over from other projects. This is an expensive fix if you have to buy the fittings but it is now leak free and you can swivel the hose to any direction w/o stripping the plastic cap.
Parts:
- 12 straight (push lok) AN fitting $10.95
-12 to -12 radiused pump fitting w/o-ring $17.99
Or a -12 bulkhead fitting w/nut if your cap is stripped. $24.99

Tim

http://i234.photobucket.com/al...eypilot/DSC00513.jpg

TheHueyPilot(UH-1H) US Army Pilot (Retired)
93 Mustang Coupe
Best Run 1/8=6.353@106.18,1.346 60' NA

Posts: 12 | Location: TN | Registered: January 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of matt bates
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don R:
If you need an emergency press remember the tounge jack on your or your neighbors trailer. I flattened a piece of metal with two pieces of wood covering the aluminum, hooked the truck back up to the hitch, slid in the wood and aluminum and jacked until the metal did what I wanted it to. It could work for anything you can fixture up. Just be careful!

They also work great for breaking tires & slicks down.

Posts: 2 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: August 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you have a small leak in a slick, spray the inside with a light coat of rubberized undercoating. Stops most small leaks and remains flexible. Also works good on golf cart and quad tires.

Posts: 30 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Rick Bailey
posted Hide Post
If you hate rust .... you love this

http://www.cookhaus.co.uk/vinegar/index.htm

Rick

Posts: 223 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post