Tips !
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spray oven cleaner for degreasing

Ruins the paint to.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12274 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of kiss my ass
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ruins the paint to.

You more or less identified another tip mike…..
I have removed a lot of lettering over the years with oven cleaner, a plastic spreader and some clean water and a sponge……just stay with it, dont let it sit on the surface more than 1 or 2 minutes at a time between applications.

The surface discharge on the battery is an exceptional tip, I just showed this to a friend a week or so ago, the look on his face was priceless when he read the multi-meter Smile

Posts: 151 | Location: Be Gone | Registered: November 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
quote:

Ruins the paint to.

Let me clarify:

Oven cleaner can be used to degrease engine/transmission parts prior to working on them...Didn't mean to infer using it to degrease your car!!! Eek Big Grin

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When checking piston to valve clearance, use a tootsie roll, and leave it in the package. just saw that on horsepower tv.

Posts: 98 | Location: Gardendale, AL | Registered: January 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
When removing your torque converter to flywheel bolts turn the engine to the easy spot to remove them and mark the balancer with a sharpee. Do this for each bolt and next time you can turn the engine right to the same spot.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Rick Bailey
posted Hide Post
3rd member vents, if you leaking lube from around the carrier mating surface or wet at your axle bearing.........and you have one of those neat looking sinistered brass vents....throw it in the garbage.
One one of my sons dragsters, on a hot day and going rounds (lube really warm) I noticed everything was very wet with lube. I removed the vent to check and found that the vent was all cloged with lube and there was no air flow through it. I just installed a 1/4" nylon hose with one small loop (or leave it long 15 18" long and secure it to one of the chassis rails).
Cleaned up the axle housing and it's been dry ever since.

I have used this in 3 cars now. all dry!

I do suppose that the exact location of the vent may have an influance but the hose is just too easy.

Rick

Posts: 223 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
#1 Use a magnetic tool tray to keep up with bolts nuts, wrenches ~ works great underneath the car as it will hold its contents in any position.

#2 A 5-6 inch piece of rubber hose is perfect for installing hard to reach spark plugs. Keeps you from cross-threading them.

#3 Changing an oil filter is easier if you punch a small drain hole in the bottom first. Draining the oil from it will reduce the mess and make it easier to handle.

#4 Keep a supply of ziplock baggies in your garage and trailer, they're great for keeping up with small parts, greasing bearings and can be used as a mini-parts washer with a few shots of brake cleaner.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When racing in the evening, and bugs are a problem, Coat the nose with a good dose of cooking spray. The bugs will wipe right off

Posts: 169 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: December 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
LOL,, you must be talking about Edgewater. Especially hot,humid air down there in July and August its terrible. Going rounds late into the night the nose and windshield is covered with what seems like a thousand bugs, moths and whatever else.., its a mess. I'll have to try that.

Here's a tip that works for me. Actually it's a tip from Ed, 1320Racer in one of his past posts and it works.That is, set slick pressure at the start of the day and leave them alone. Don't fuss with them.Yes, when going rounds pressures will be higher but leave them alone and 60's will be much more consistent. May not work with all cars and all tires but it definetly improved my 60 foots. Ed runs Hoosiers I think. I run 14x32 Goodyears.I check to see what the pressure are, but I don't change them.

Posts: 90 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
On your neutral safety switch leave a few extra inches of wire so if the switch slips adjustment or malfunctions you can pull the spade connecters off. Then overlap the edges of the spades annd connect them to each other. For emergency use only of course.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Smink
posted Hide Post
Another view of "neutral safety switch" requirement...........

Change to "PARK SAFETY SWITCH"

After that terrible accident in the staging lanes I would hope this change is considered.

Has worked in my car for years.

"Hard to fool them flies, though......"

Posts: 1277 | Location: 3+ hours from any track | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of John Heard
posted Hide Post
Paint a line on your important chassis bolt / nut junctions with fingernail paint. It works like a tamper resistant seal you find on electronic parts. Then you can crawl under the car and quickly check for loose bolts by visual inspection. If the paint seal has broken and/or the line moved better check it out.

John Heard
DragStuff.com

Posts: 188 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Snead Racing
posted Hide Post
Spray Pledge on your wheelie bars and around the rear of your car. You can even spray your wheel tubs. The rubber from burnouts will wipe right off.

-Clinton Snead
2002/2006 Bristol Dragway Jr. Dragster Track Champ

Posts: 143 | Location: Denver, North Carolina | Registered: May 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Wire relays with the toggle switch on the ground side of the coil. That way you will only need 3 wires going to the relay. Just jump the component hot wire around to the positive side of the coil. Also the switch will only need one wire. The other side of the switch will just go to ground at the switch panel.

This is quicker, easier, and will provide protection for both circuits (you are using fusible links right?).

Matt Ward

Posts: 1390 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Snead Racing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
(you are using fusible links right?).

HAHAHAHA

-Clinton Snead
2002/2006 Bristol Dragway Jr. Dragster Track Champ

Posts: 143 | Location: Denver, North Carolina | Registered: May 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Build a strong and solid workbench in your garage for just a few bucks.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4619876_build-garage-workbench-less.html

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
#1 Before yanking that intake manifold off, run your shop vacuum around the edges to pick up any stray stones or junk that could fall into the valley or ports.

#2 Use those magnetic business cards you keep getting in the mail and wrap them around the oil filter to keep a bit more junk out of your oil.

#3 If you have a RV, collect extra napkins, plastic utensils and condiments at your favorite fast food outfit. Might as well get something for your money.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Rick Bailey
posted Hide Post
Anti-freez,,,,,,,instead of using automotive anti-freez (for guys in cold climates) and the track officials just cringe...lol
I use RV anti-freez, yeap! the pink stuff I use it straight and year round......I done this for 6 or 7 years now (I travel to Fla. in Feb.) I have never had a problem. in the cold or in the heat of the summer.

It's not a oil base product to piss of the the track folks and it has additives. to prevent drying out seals and such.

Rick

Posts: 223 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Muskratt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snead Racing:
Spray Pledge on your wheelie bars and around the rear of your car. You can even spray your wheel tubs. The rubber from burnouts will wipe right off.
Hey Clinton, I like this. The question I want to ask you though is do you wipe off the Pledge after you spray it on or just let it air dry? Do you put more that one coat on?

David Alger
1985 Mustang GT
C4
5:13 Gears
http://algerracing.webs.com/

Posts: 95 | Location: Rocky Mount,VA. | Registered: February 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For the guys who area little far sighted...you can use your cell phone camera to shoot a pic and then zoom it to read it or see.

Jim Scott
"Were on the precipice of a cluster f*ck"

pinks burn out

Posts: 1534 | Location: Anderson,CA | Registered: April 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post