New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips !
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This is a little engine compartment dress up tip. If you're running a aftermarket overflow catch can and water neck, go to Lowes and look in the plumbing section and pick up a peice of Stainless Steel Braided "Ice maker" line to run from the water neck to the catch can. It looks great and it is alot cheaper than the stuff from jegs, plus it already has the fittings on it. I've had alot of complimates on mine at the track. I also did the same thing for my air shifter, mine never saw more than 80# pressure and never had any trouble.

Jason

Jason McLawhorn
Greenville, NC
1955 Chevy

Posts: 476 | Location: Greenville, North Carolina | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For those that build their own powerglides, here is a neat little bench that works perfect for assemblying a pg trans and allowing the tailhousing to hang down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47844

Jason McLawhorn
Greenville, NC
1955 Chevy

Posts: 476 | Location: Greenville, North Carolina | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Use wire ties on converter when removing or installing trany. Go through bolt holes on converter to inspection shield bolt holes on trany on both sides and pull tight. Keeps converter from falling off and a big cleanup.

I just want to live while Im alive

Posts: 44 | Location: in your closet | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
when detailing engine compartment with paint, use aluinum foil to cover odd shaped pieces. no tape required and it molds to the piece and holds tight

Posts: 21 | Location: under the hood | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of rooster_439
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by headwrench:
when detailing engine compartment with paint, use aluinum foil to cover odd shaped pieces. no tape required and it molds to the piece and holds tight

thats a smart 1 thanks Wink

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr.Seuss

Posts: 4191 | Location: twilight zone | Registered: February 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
you are welcome

Posts: 21 | Location: under the hood | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
1. When trying to pull an axle out that will not come out easily, install a brake drum on the axle backwards. Install 3 lug nuts, also backwards and only until the lug is full of stud. You now have a good axle puller. You should always try to pull the brake drum while centering on the threads of the studs, but I've never damaged a single stud by doing this. It has worked every time for me.

2. When trying to remove a pilot bushing from a crankshaft. Fill the bushing almost full with grease, insert an input shaft and smack it with a big ass hammer.

3. The wife's dishwasher makes a great final wash for pistons, pins, rods, bearings etc. They should be fairly clean before going in. Like after you've done a few mock ups and you're now ready for final assembly. My disclaimer: I've never actually done this, but I know some guys that claim it's great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ron Gusack,

Posts: 455 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
2. When trying to remove a pilot bushing from a crankshaft. Fill the bushing almost full with grease, insert an input shaft and smack it with a big ass hammer.

This also works when replacing the rear bearing in an Moroso vacuum pump..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Removing the Glide or changing flex plate or converter from dragster.

Back the car out of trailer so the rear is clear of the ramps but front is still in trailer high above ground. Then jack the rear way up. Like that there's lots of room to let the tranny come down on a 2nd jack and easy to jack back up. When this is a one man jobs makes it more reasonable.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
##1 TIP DONT GET IN A FIGHT WITH YOUR WIFE BEFORE THE RACES, REALLY MAKES FOR BAD LIGHTS

Posts: 70 | Location: utah | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vpr351:
##1 TIP DONT GET IN A FIGHT WITH YOUR WIFE BEFORE THE RACES, REALLY MAKES FOR BAD LIGHTS

Yeah, It's hard to see the tree with both of your eyes swollen shut!! Eyes Eyes

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
use a windshield sun shade to lay on for under car work. they can be bought for 2-3 bucks, fold up for easy storage, and is even nice to keep in the trunk of your daily driver for those roadside repairs, ie flat tires ect.

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
The tootsie roll trick reminded me of another.

Tip 1:
If you need to replace a valve spring while the head is installed and do not have an air supply. (I don't know why you would have the valve spring tool!)

Use a piece of small diameter rope, pull the plug, rotate until TDC or close to top, insert rope into cylinder until full then rotate engine until it stops (do this by hand). Remove and replace spring reassemble and you are ready to go.

Oh, be sure to remove rope first Wink

Tip 2:

Not for race car but, an old Army BDAR trick, If you loose your fan belt while on the road, the belt you use to hold your pants up with can be used as a fan belt, just keep it slow.

Of course the younger generation can't use this trick since they obviously don't use a belt to keep their pant up!! Big Grin

Dave

Hey, one time on a trip back from the beach had to use a pair of the girlfriend's pantyhose to get the car home! And yep, I married her 36 years ago.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
A couple more I just remembered...CRS and old age is killing me..Why can't I remember these all at once?

If your car has electric windows (most do now days) if you roll the window down and it will not go up (Check fuse first) try this.

While holding the button in the up position smack the door panel close to where the window motor is located either with your hand or a rubber mallet. Sometimes that jars it enough to get it past the bad spot on the armature.

Same trick different situation..

If you go to start your car and all you get is the starter solenoid clicking but you know the battery is good. Have someone hold the starter engaged while you hit the starter with a hammer. Same principle you can jar it past the bad spot and the engine will crank over.

I have used both tricks many times in the past and they do work.

Dave

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Same trick with a in tank electric fuel pump on your daily driver or tow rig. Turn the ignition on and then whack he bottom of the tank wih a mallet. If you have a 4x4 with a skid plate you can use something harder(I used my hich drawbar once Big Grin

Posts: 38 | Location: Lancaster,PA | Registered: June 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
we keep a 3-ring binder with all instruction sheets, wiring diagrams ect. of everything on thr racecar,and most important part numbers. it has come in handy several times for us as well as others at the track

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you need a large hole in sheetmetal, find an elecrician friend and see if they have a set of knock out punches. These two piece punches cut a perfectly round and burr free hole. Just remember that the sizes marked on the punches are for wire conduit with that INSIDE diameter.

Posts: 38 | Location: Lancaster,PA | Registered: June 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is a Carb Stand that i made. I used a $5 1/2in carb spacer that i got from a Swap meet. I used 4 6in carriage bolts with a washer and nut on both sides. I have about 8 dollars in the stand. its real sturdy.

Tee

Tee
wjoh155052@aol.com

Schooled by Scotty
http://www.scottyrichardsonsdragracingschool.com/
615-804-2487

My Home Track
New London Dragway.

www.biondoracing.com
www.racepartdepot.com

Loose Change does not smoke tires because i didn't teach him to do that.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Rustburg VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Next time you are leaving the grocery store, grab one of those small, (5x7" or 8") glossy real-estate magazines or apartment-finder booklets on the Free rack. Keep one in vehicle, one in garage, race trailer, etc. They contain about 20 handy tear-out paper funnels for adding oil, ATF, etc! You just roll-yer-own to fit whatever size opening! Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Next time you are leaving the grocery store, grab one of those small, (5x7" or 8") glossy real-estate magazines or apartment-finder booklets on the Free rack. Keep one in vehicle, one in garage, race trailer, etc. They contain about 20 handy tear-out paper funnels for adding oil, ATF, etc! You just roll-yer-own to fit whatever size opening! Wink

That's all my Dad used his entire life. I was probably 20 before I saw a "real" funnel, I was amazed they made such a thing. Still, the "custom" made paper funnels are almost always cleaner than any plastic or metal funnel that's been used more than once, IMHO. I still use the slick paper customs myself - another instance when Dad was a lot smarter than I gave him credit for...

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post