Tips !
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Well I'm sure a few puter experts will say they know this but just found out you can easily change the width of a web page by pressing Ctrl key and the + or the - keys. It's pretty neat because you can zoom in on pictures...have fun!

Good tip!

Another one is if you need two or more applications up on your desktop at the same time, start the first one, minimize it, start the next one, minimize it, then place the pointer on it, hold the ctrl key and right click. Choose either tile vertically or horizontally.

Also, one I use alot (granted I have 3 screens spanning ~51"), hold the windows key and either left or right arrow. Tiles the windows side by side.....by side by side by side by side (in my case)

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of AX01
posted Hide Post
For Bee stings, this works quickly...

Use any antihistamine tablet or capsule (commonly used for colds or allergies), break it into a powder, add water or saliva to create a paste. Apply the paste to the surface of the Bee Sting, the pain will dissipate quickly. A crying child will be feeling much better within a minute or two...

For auto glass, especially dirty glass that may have paint or primer overspray with embedded dust or dirt...

Use an SOS pad and a bucket of warm soapy water, the soapy steel wool will clean the glass like never before, without scratching it...

Posts: 21 | Location: NC | Registered: February 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fergen
posted Hide Post
A good old boy told me to save my old newspapers to use to clean the glass in my car. Not sure about lexan but it works great on glass and its free. And a poor-boy like me, likes that.

Posts: 1 | Location: Brookings SD | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FunIn60Feet
posted Hide Post
When doing an extremely difficult engine removal and replacement, I first take a whole bunch of pictures of the entire engine and all the accessories. When disassembling I put all the bolts in separate baggies and label with a sharpe where the bolt went. Makes it a breeze to reassemble when you know where everything goes.

Posts: 146 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: November 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
After using a quart of oil, don't discard the bottle, cut the last 2 inches off the bottom in a straight line and clean it out good, it acts as a tray for catching gas when changing jets in a carb. remove the carb bowls and drain into that pan you just made. or an even bigger one is a 4 quart container of oil or trans fluid. good durable plastic

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you are running stainless headers "The works" toilet bowl cleaner will take the discoloring right off. Wear gloves put the cleaner on a rag and wipe the headers down. You will be amazed how well it "works"

Posts: 21 | Location: Jackson | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you run screw in studs, put a mark on each stud with a paint pen at the end of stud at the top of each stud.
So when changing tires you can see if the studs unscrewed from the axle.
If they didn't move they should all be in the same orientation.
If they do unscrew, they can rub a hole in your wheel cylinder and lose your brakes.
Don't ask me how I know. Red Face

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg3728:
If you are running stainless headers "The works" toilet bowl cleaner will take the discoloring right off. Wear gloves put the cleaner on a rag and wipe the headers down. You will be amazed how well it "works"

o.k. now greg, that i am gonna try! i have edel. 6550's i need to clean.

photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 338 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
W.A.OLIVER.111 It wont take the rust off...if you have any but the discoloring will come right off

Posts: 21 | Location: Jackson | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
hey greg, dont have any rust, just discolored from heat at the first bend. i wiped 'em down and it did real good,then got 'em wet again and hit 'em with some fine scotch-brite and they are hittin' like new ones! freakin' sweet!- ...111...

photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 338 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not sure if said yet but I go this from old fuel guy.
It don't cost a thing to work on the car and 9 out of 10 saves you later.
If you run alky take time to pull line out two and run some wd-40 thru sytem will save lots of trouble

If your running injection and ever have to change idle you canremove a 1/8 pipe plug from between injector and intake ,say falnge of injector and you gain about 250 rpmper plug.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mezmorized
posted Hide Post
An old crock pot/slow cooker from the second hand store makes a good little hot tank for small parts. I had used Castrol Super Clean in it. It says not to heat, keep well ventilated!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mezmorized,

Posts: 22 | Location: Pontiac, Québec, Canada | Registered: September 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Figure this would be a good place for this.

I wanted to share this with you all. I found this over on yellowbullet posted by a guy called RRRAAAYYY2. It is an easy and effective way to test the quality of your circuits

"Voltage drop testing is one of the simpliest tests in the world to do, but often is over looked. Here is a detailed explanation of how to perform the test.

You will need a volt meter, prefferable a digital one. The help of a friend will make testing a lot easier as well. And possibly a set of booster cables if the circuit you are going to test is really long.

A few things that you should know first. When you use a volt meter it displays the difference in voltage from one lead to another. So when you place it across the battery on the + and - posts, and it reads 12.79volts, it means that the difference in voltage between the two posts is 12.79volts.

All the circuits in your car complete themsleves at the battery, specifically between the + and - plates inside the battery. So any extra resistance outside the battery, any where in the circuit is a bad thing.

Industry stanard for automotive production cars is a .5 total voltage drop in any system. Except maybe your starting system, as the old style starters just draw a ton of amperage. The .5 is divided up as .3 positive and .2 negative. So when we are testing the positive leg of the circuit we will want to see less than .3 of a drop, and less than .2 on the negative side. This is while the device is in use. i.e. if you are checking your lights, they need to be on while doing the check.

So here is how to do the test. Put one lead on one point of the circuit, and the other lead at another point. Say at both ends of a wire. The meter should read zero. Now turn on the device. The reading on the meter is how much the voltage drops between the two leads. If it is on both ends of a wire, then it is how much the voltage drop down that wire. If it is over .3 + or .2 - it needs to be replaced. "

Real world, as you may or may not know, I have been having issues with my electrical water pump. So I came across this test. Well initial test showed that I had .6 voltage drop from my relay center to the pump. Well looking at it I found a questionable connection,so I replaced the entire circuit and recrimped all the connections. Well the voltage drop is .1 now and I can hear that pump zinging now. I will be definitely be checking out other circuits. This test was very helpful to me and I wanted to share.

This test really allows you to pinpoint where the issue is. You just check each side of the connection to want to check, if the drop is significant, you found your problem.

For those of you that have those slow cranking cars, you can also use this to determine if you have a bad ground. If your battery is in the rear like mine, you will need to extend your leads. Just put one end on the positive side of the battery, and the other on the starter positive. Have someone crank the car, excessive drop, start checking connections. You can also do this with the ground side

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Use a pair of rubber gloves when changing oil to remove the oil filter. You must have the ones that are the "gauntlet" type that are blue with yellow cuffs. These will give incredible hulk grip on oil filters and you will most likely never need a filter wrench. Just clean the gloves and filter with a paper towel and brake cleaner first. It is unreal how good they work!

You can find the blue gloves with yellow cuffs at Lowes in the painting section. They cost about $4.

Don't buy nitrile gloves because they wont work.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of daman200j
posted Hide Post
to keep your drag slicks in good condition and hooking. I like to use soap and a degreaser and wash or scrub the slick part of the tire. You will be amazed at how much oil comes out of the tire if u have never did this b4. This oil would be oil that comes out of tire when doing burnout,in my opinion. I notice after a pass my tires always are more sticky than anyone elses by the amount of grass rocks that are hanging from them at trailer.

Posts: 1 | Location: ga | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Waaay back in my drinkin' days, I rinsed plastic oil quarts out good and refilled 'em with my choice of liquor. The ex never thought to look there...hell, who would?
Took a Pennzoil quart filled with Crown Royal into a party once. I was standing around in a bull****ter's circle, unscrewed the cap and took a good pull. Tried to hand it to the next guy but he declined, said, "No, thanks. I'm a Quaker State man myself". Laughed 'till I thought I'd throw up.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Before adding the fresh oil, re-install the drain plug. Just sayin.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don R:
Before adding the fresh oil, re-install the drain plug. Just sayin.

Oil flush? LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
After using a partial can of spray paint, remove the nozzle and put it on a can of brake clean or carb cleaner, whatever nozzle matches for a quick squirt to flush the old paint out. Be sure to test spray on cardboard or your trash can before painting again.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The bag from your discarded EZ up canopy makes a good holder for your plastic fuel transfer pump.