Find
Notify
Tools

Tips !
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I got tired of dirty, oily funnels. McMaster sells a funnel with screw on end caps on each end. I bought one for the trailer recently. Part number 40535T5 for $6.11!

Matt Ward

Posts: 1390 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Two Guys Garage had some a couple of weeks ago. They're paper and fold flat, use 'em once and toss 'em. That would be a viable option to prevent contamination by fluid residue as well as dirt, debris, etc.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 487 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of FastWorker70MonteCarlo
posted Hide Post
Keep plenty of freezer bags on hand for engine rebuilds.i bag every lifter. the gallon ones work perfect for holding pistons. A valve body also fits perfectl in a gallon size. get the ones with the white label on the to wrtie on.

Go to a local coin opertated car wash to wash off blocks, heads, trans cases, etc. high pressure rules!

Posts: 263 | Location: PA | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Dave Raser
posted Hide Post
1001 uses for WD-40:

For faded chrome/aluminum mouldings/bumpers .......... spray some on a rag, and wipe over the piece .......... looks much better .. without going thru the rigorous rubbing routine.

Dave

Posts: 1903 | Location: penna. | Registered: January 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I just went thru the task of rewiring a race car building my own wiring harnesses. Making your own harness is a lot less expensive then buying a painless wiring harness.

Not only can you color code the wires, but you can make professional looking labels by using clear heat shrink tubing.

Clear Heat-Shrink Tubing is useful for labelling wires in a wiring harness. Just print out your series of numbers or circuit identifiers on a laser printer using a small type size. Cut them out, wrap the paper around the wire, and secure in place with the heat shrink tubing.

Put them at whatever distance along the wire that you see fit.

Believe me, it's a lot easier to trace wiring when they are labled.

Merle
Hard Times Racing

Posts: 809 | Location: Owasso, Oklahoma | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you are painting and need to plug a small hole, use foam earplugs. squeeze them and insert and they will expand to fit.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
My buddy just showed me this trick. If you have a bearing you need to pull out like a pilot bearing or a bearing say out of a moroso vacuum pump. If you pack the bearing with bearing grease, than take a shaft that is really close to the size of the bearing hole, and just hit it will a hammer. The grease will push the bearing right out. I just did this to replace the bearings in my moroso vacuum pump. Very Trick.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 72 nova
posted Hide Post
Always keep your batterys on a 'trickle charger' through the week when not racing. Your batterys will last much longer this way. For those that 'may' not know the charger will stop when at full charge and crank back up when needed. I leave my on all week and my batterys last a long time.

Acres was here ~~~~> X

Support Our Troops!

Posts: 1810 | Location: Shelby,Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
During my bi-weekly round-trip from D/FW to Topeka, I stop for fuel in Oklahoma. Usually at a Love's truckstop, since their prices in OKC, Moore & Norman are generally the lowest, plus they sell Ultra-Caffeinated coffee, and their bathrooms are clean and don't stink.
We are now entering bug season, and the windshield can get hard to see through with 300-500 miles worth of smashed critters on it. Unlike many gas stations that offer straight water in their windshield-washing buckets, or a diluted, muddy mess of typical blue water that doesn't work like it used to, I noticed last Summer the stuff at Love's easily cleared off even the nastiest, baked-on bug guts & road grime. I asked the kid who was refilling the buckets what they use in them, and he said water with a healthy dose of blue Dawn liquid dish soap. So this summer, if you need to get your windshield really clean, with minimal elbow-grease, I suggest you try blue Dawn! (And you thought this was an endorsement for Love's, didn't ya?). Smile Well, I guess I can suggest them as well, if you are traveling I-35 through Oklahoma... Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FastWorker70MonteCarlo:
Keep plenty of freezer bags on hand for engine rebuilds.i bag every lifter. the gallon ones work perfect for holding pistons. A valve body also fits perfectl in a gallon size. get the ones with the white label on the to wrtie on.

!

They also sell the even bigger bags with the zipper. I put my carb in there in the off season to keep dirt away.

Posts: 463 | Location: cburg VA  | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mustangx5
posted Hide Post
When removing/installing tranny in my hartail dragster I would remove the rear tires and with the jack under the rear end drop the chassis to the ground, unbolt everything then jack the rear back up leaving the tranny on the floor, never have to lift or balance the tranny on a jack. Works awsome.

Posts: 2 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Whenever you send parts out, keep a checklist of them, to make sure you get everything back. This is especially helpful if you're not going to be reassembling an engine for weeks or months, and keeps you from scrambling, looking for a missing piece... like the harmonic balancer.
censored

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Don't eat yellow snow.

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
If you still run tubes in your slicks, you can change/patch a tube without taking the wheel off the car. Breaking the bead can be a little problem, but a BFH and something against the tire will work. I've used the male end of a 1/2 extension and done this a few times between rounds. Start to finish with 2 people in about 20 minutes.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 72 nova
posted Hide Post
"Pledge" the furniture polish for your back 1/4's. Spray it on, dont touch it and the rubber doesnt stick much on it.

Acres was here ~~~~> X

Support Our Troops!

Posts: 1810 | Location: Shelby,Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Guy M. Price
posted Hide Post
A friend sent an email the other day saying you could buy one of those square, lantern size batteries for a large flashlight for $5-$6, remove the wrapping, then pry off the top, cut the wires inside and you end up with 32 double AA batteries for a decent price. Think I will investigate this further myself! Eyes Big Grin Cool

"The Price is Right, but seldom official. If you find yourself in a hole, for God's sake, quit digging! I'm not old, I'm chronologically gifted!"

Posts: 6498 | Location: At Los Dos Molinos! | Registered: October 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
You can clean up mildly rusted chrome items with 000 steel wool and paste car wax. Just keep rubbing, the rust will disappear in no time and the wax coating will help control future rusting.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Eric David Bru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
You can clean up mildly rusted chrome items with 000 steel wool and paste car wax. Just keep rubbing, the rust will disappear in no time and the wax coating will help control future rusting.

I always used the SOS pads that have the soapy stuff in them. I hijacked them from my mom~!

EDB

Posts: 275 | Location: The Skunk Works | Registered: November 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
This is for those that run the innovate LC1, You can get replacement o2 sensors from autozone. The part# is 17014 and they are $52 so they are cheaper then most places of have seen. Most online places are between 70-80 bucks a piece. My store had to order them but they had them the next day.

Have fun

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Never fry bacon naked!

Posts: 4 | Location: mission bc | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post