DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2002 7.3 Strange sounding noise
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 7.3 Strange sounding noise
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Strange sounding noise. noise sound comes after the shift or lifting off the Excelerator pedal when pulling sounds like some what like belt high pitch slip And or high pressure hydraulic noise do you know what is it in all gears especially noticing when you decelerate, harder pull noise The noise is only for a fraction of a second you can hear it is not coming from the transmission it replaced

Posts: 34 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check the after cooler hoses, could be turbo whine. Ive seen a lot of that on the 6.0's when the clamp breaks.

Posts: 292 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Like stated above. Sounds like an air leak. See and hear it all the time where as in the Semi's.
Tiny pin hole in the front inter cooler. Like you mentioned, higher the load, louder the noise. Grab what clamps you can and see it they will spin.
Just some pointers. Look closely at the hoses.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i may be on the wrong motor,but my dads truck was doing same thing and at startup.i tracked it down to turbo waste gate controller.you can observe this by watching with hood up and turn key to on not start.goes through a cycle each time key is on

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks will look in to that. Was going to check all clamps.Just get other opinions first

Posts: 34 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Do you have the stock air box still on it? If so, look at the tabs. There's plastic tabs where the top half of the box fits into slots in the bottom half of the box. They're real common to break, and you'll get some turbo noise and if you don't address it quickly, a dusted turbo and engine. If you have a cold air intake like most 7.3 owners do, the noise is what I would consider normal, but mine's more of a "whoosh" briefly after letting off, under a load, but no whine or whistle to speak of. Usually just a quick whoosh.

That said, you may have a boost leak somewhere and that'll cause all sorts of noises. The way I find them is with a leak tester. Remove turbo hose (from the turbo itself) and make up a piece of PVC pipe about the same size, with a coupling that you clamp to the turbo. On the other end, a pvc cap. Install a ball valve with an air hose coupler, and I also put a pressure gauge in the cap as well so I know where I'm at (hate to bust a piece of 3" pvc--lots of shrapnel). 20 psi is about all you want in the system. If you can't find a leak at 20 psi, you probably don't have a leak to speak of. Common leak points are at the CAC couplers, there are several (two at the CAC itself and 2 on the intake spider). Then there's two more that connect the intake manifolds to the spider. With 20 psi in the system, spray soapy water around anything that you think might be leaking. CAC hoses, CAC itself, intake spider, intake manifolds, turbo connections, the turbo itself, etc. They run a lot better when they ain't leaking--you get a little boost at part throttle rather than having to have your foot halfway down it's throat to make 5 psi.

Another source of some noise may be the turbo up pipes. Usually obvious if you shine a flashlight back there behind the engine, normally see some black exhaust soot on the firewall somewhere near the up pipe connection.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the Information think I go To try it with the compressed air sounds like easy way to find leaks