Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster radiator position?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster radiator position?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I am curious as to where the best location is for a dragster radiator for someone who runs Gas. My dragster cools just fine until the later round Robin rounds and it gets more temp to start with than I like. Mine is on the blow shield. I am thinking of adding a second radiator or reposition. Curious about in front of foot box or over trans rear area. Weight is not an issue as I am bracket racing. Thanks for any replys.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 155 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Both my dragsters had/have the rad. mtd. in front of the engine on the blow shield...

I ran alcohol on both cars and temp was never a problem

With a gas carb I did have to work to keep the temp down with either car

When I switched my current car back to a gas carb I was thinking about how to improve the cooling system...

I replaced the fan on the radiator with one that had twice the airflow CFM rating.

It was a direct fit with no modifications needed and made a big improvement. Pretty much a non issue with this setup.

Hot lapping is generally not something I have to do but have made late rounds and finals without a lot of time between rounds....The races I run usually have a decent amount of time between rounds...

I have a Saldana radiator /SPAL fan....

Posts: 1471 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks SCDiv1. I never thought of fan speed. It seems to move air preet good but will check into it. Local races they give ya time. But bracket finals and some of the bigger money races the last few rounds are like you get back to pits and as your climbing out of car they are calling you back. I don't really want to switch to alcohol as I feel like I have a good handle on gas. I have an alternator and carry plenty of fuel just not found of starting the next round with more temp than normal. Guess I'm too darn picky.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 155 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mine is over the tranny and I run gas, rarely over 180*, never over 190*. That's running 2 classes going deep, 15 runs in a day.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1172 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Switch to 16v that'll spin that fan like never before. Mine cools way better.

Posts: 1120 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:
Switch to 16v that'll spin that fan like never before. Mine cools way better.
x2

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1172 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Will what brand type of radiator do you have? Thanks for the reply. Thanks pivotdoc good idea but don't want to buy a charger and 16v battery at this time but an option for the future.

Jeff McClure

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
What is the radiator made out of? regular stuff, aluminum, plastic tanks?

Posts: 178 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bob if your asking me it is a Ron Davis radiator and fan. Aluminum

Jeff McClure

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
I carry a big spayer with ice water in it. I usually stay no hotter than about 180-190 but if I need to cool down quick just keep the water pump and fan running and spray down the front of the radiator. Works like a charm....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 221 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mark thanks for the reply. I do carry a pump us sprayer although I don't use ice water but do use it if I have time. But turn around time is so quick at some races that I don't use it because of no time and wouldn't want any water getting held up somewhere to leak at starting line. It's not a terrible issue can dial for it but would be nice for it to be something to not have to think about. Radiator placement such as in front of foot box or over trans might get more air flow.

Jeff McClure

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokinjeff:
Mark thanks for the reply. I do carry a pump us sprayer although I don't use ice water but do use it if I have time. But turn around time is so quick at some races that I don't use it because of no time and wouldn't want any water getting held up somewhere to leak at starting line. It's not a terrible issue can dial for it but would be nice for it to be something to not have to think about. Radiator placement such as in front of foot box or over trans might get more air flow.

My radiator is right behind the blow shield as well. I cool mine as much as possible when I have the time. Even with spraying it on the radiator, it will dry off pretty quick as long as you don't soak the hell out of it...At 190* I can cool mine to less than 160* in just a couple of minutes, and the radiator is dry in about a minute after....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 221 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Front of footbox with two naca ducts?

Posts: 48 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
On gas, you dont want it in front of foot box. Need a fan that pulls alot of CFM or you can try 16 volt. The radiator mounted over the driveshaft area is best option but it just looks cleaner on the blow shield to me, plus it doesnt get as dirty.

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 132 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Shane I'm guessing not in front of the foot box because of airflow? Or is there another reason? Not really wanting to put air ducts in the body. But good suggestion fasterat. Thanks

Jeff McClure

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokinjeff:
Will what brand type of radiator do you have? Thanks for the reply. Thanks pivotdoc good idea but don't want to buy a charger and 16v battery at this time but an option for the future.
Saldana. It's one of thier standard dragster radiators, like 17" x 21"

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR Trophy
Picture of 60 falcon
posted Hide Post
Jeff when I put my car on gas the first couple of races it was getting up to 180-190, before the Cowpastures I put a bottle and a half of royal purple's purple ice in the radiator with distilled water and it never got above 170 all weekend even on Sunday when I made 9 passes. It's worth a try I used it in my roadster also and it ran about 20 degrees cooler.

sammy mathis

Posts: 34 | Location: iowa park, texas | Registered: October 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Smokin Jeff, yes sir on the footbox, just not enough outside airflow. On the blow shield, it would help if it had holes in it and also the rad should spaced off the blow shield.
I was at a race last spring, the starter or battery took a dump, 1st round of a dragster race, of course they were hot lapping the hell out of us, luckily it wasnt warm weather yet. Once I started the car at the trailer, it wasnt turned off until I got back, temp was reaching 190ish and would stay there, ended up winning the race. Ive always been adamant about the temp when racing, maybe it isnt that crucial? It also didnt effect the consistency either

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 132 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
I've had a radiator in front of foot box, over driveshaft area, and on the blow shield. The blow shield I feel cools better when done correctly.

1. Make sure there is proper distance from the blow shield to the radiator - if not put cooling holes/slots.
2.Make sure the fan direction is correct
3. AN hose size, routing of hose and fitting selection is important
4. Make sure it's coming into the intake in the proper location and not leaving a air gap
5. Water wetter helps

Ron Davis makes a nice radiator with a fan that is plenty to do the job.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4660 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shane temp effects mine but I kind of know what it does so I can dial for it or get ready to spray if need be. I wasn't aware it was ok to drill slots or holes in the blow shield. Mine may be too close to the shield. I appreciate your reply Thanks

Jeff McClure