DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    rotating weight in relation to front wheels.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rotating weight in relation to front wheels.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
This maybe more of opion thing then fact.

We all know the rule of thumb that 1 lb. rotating weight equals 10 lbs. sprung weight. My question does this apply to front wheel and tire weight also? Yes it is rotating. Is it adding more or less load to engine same as rear wheels or flywheel weight? Engine has to work harder to spin those if weigh more. Can see where rolling easier like with better bearings help reduce power used.Does it also take more power to roll front tier over if it weighs 5 lbs more than another equal power to haul 50 lbs heavier driver down the track?

If so change front wheels on FED from weld aluma star(original) to wire spoke would shave .15 off et 15 lbs less x 10 for rotating. Sorry I find that super hard to believe.

First your rule of thumb is wrong! Where the added rotational weight is place matters!

Second, you are talking about adding or subtracting 5 drops of water in a large lake! It just doesn't matter.

Case I point, 7.3 dragster ran the exact same ET and MPH with bead lock's vs no bead locks, same tires!

Move on to something more important.

Bead locks picked me up at that et range.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
old rule is 1 lb of rotating equals 9 to 10 lbs depending on who you hear it from. HAve never seen or heard where as part of it, Never said I agree with rule.I do agree with where it is does. 1 lb out of axle is not same as 1 lb off tire weight. Also don't agree that off rear end is near same as off flywheel.

I agree with have seen no difference most of the time as in your example with bead lock's and most of that difference is towards outer part of mass.

Again its mostly a opinion thread and all are good.Some opinions backed by have seen work and good amount of have not seen it work out.

Not sure who you hear stuff from but you may want to listen to others! It certainly matters where you add any kind of weight! For rotational weight, the further you add it away from the center of rotation the more energy needed to accelerate it and to also stop it! That's a fact!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of the rotational weight thing is over rated. Lighter rotating assembly that makes 750 horsepower does rev up quicker than a heavier rotating assembly that makes 750 Hp but Et is same or little difference.

Not a bad idea to save weight and rotating weight may be better than non but do not expect huge gains IMHO.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
One little change may not help but put together 10 little changes will show you something !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
old rule is 1 lb of rotating equals 9 to 10 lbs depending on who you hear it from. HAve never seen or heard where as part of it, Never said I agree with rule.I do agree with where it is does. 1 lb out of axle is not same as 1 lb off tire weight. Also don't agree that off rear end is near same as off flywheel.

I agree with have seen no difference most of the time as in your example with bead lock's and most of that difference is towards outer part of mass.

Again its mostly a opinion thread and all are good.Some opinions backed by have seen work and good amount of have not seen it work out.

Not sure who you hear stuff from but you may want to listen to others! It certainly matters where you add any kind of weight! For rotational weight, the further you add it away from the center of rotation the more energy needed to accelerate it and to also stop it! That's a fact!

Also exactly what I said. As for who I hear from as stated OLD rule as in rule of thumb. Just bunch of those old guys who where racing before most of us where born hence old part.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill masiello:
One little change may not help but put together 10 little changes will show you something !

Agree .Goes back to my working to cut few ounces off. Few ounces nothing.Few once 20 times something.If its just work to machine,drill or what ever cost is zero.PLUS gives me warm fuzzy feeling know I cut weight at no cost. Now if spending money I want to get hot fuzzy feeling knowing it helped even if only .0099,see not greedy that would .01009.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
My change was simply rims, not tires. Heavy steel rally wheels with centers and rings to light at the time aluminum Welds. I did weigh it at the time but forget the numbers, It was a decent amount. I had used the same 215/70 radial fronts and Mcreary 275/60's out back. That car ran anywhere from 12 teens to 20's and the rims alone meant nothing in terms of performance. I expected at least a .10 or so.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post